Walker killed by cattle....

kevinjohnsonmbe

5 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Simple, easily avoided, unnecessarily careless?

Those infamous man-eating cows left to pray on the weak and infirm…

Sad as it is I see this as nothing more than ‘One of those things’. (The dogs won’t have helped).
Load of bollocks that the farmer has been convicted of anything at all - I’d imagine a couple of warning signs either end of the field access would have seen him considered innocent. 

Edited by monkeybusiness

Cattle are unpredictable, particularly when first let out in spring.

We live in a beef raising area, a local farmer with decades of experience was trampled by his own stock and has expressed that it would have been better if they had finished him off. 

• Like 2

Back in the Alps (my home for 15 years) I'd not think twice about strolling through a field of cows, public footpaths cross them like spiderwebs. I'd often go over and chat to them, see if I could get a tune out of their little bells. Friendly fellows, despite the massive horns. Sometimes I'd sit down among them and crack open my flask of tea.

Here in Ireland, I'd not go near the f*ckers. Absolutely mental, the lot of them. They'd eat you for breakfast.

• Like 2

Simple, even the most docile wee belted Galloway, with a calf, can be a force of nature, THEN introduce dogs to the mix, all bets are off.

Coming from a suckling herd family background, where our experienced collie dog would skirt out round the 3 sides of a field with cows and calves in, but trot straight through a field of helfiers or bullocks.

P.S.

I can only suspect there was a history of acrimony re this ROW and this farmer.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 7

Seems to be a common occurrence.It should be less of a ballache for farmers/landowners to reroute these "rights of way" and we would see a lot less of this. We were involved in some clearance work to divert one a few years ago, the old one had to stay in place for about two years with diversion signs showing the new route.

Bob 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, aspenarb said:

Seems to be a common occurrence.It should be less of a ballache for farmers/landowners to reroute these "rights of way" and we would see a lot less of this. We were involved in some clearance work to divert one a few years ago, the old one had to stay in place for about two years with diversion signs showing the new route.

Bob 

Yet I have seen documented cases where the Ramblers Association has quite needlessly either fought hard or flexed their muscle, to prevent farmers rerouting ROWS due to enlarged fields or boundary changes 

1 minute ago, aspenarb said:

Bob 

we had a footpath go up the side of our barn and though our yard at previous home. nobody except the most zealous ramblers used to go that way, as there was a much easier, more picturesque and more direct route that went around. We had the council visit numerous times to assess it, but they wouldn't relocate it, stubborn old gits.   

• Like 1