Pricing

RobG 86

14 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Who was the guy on hear that got in a bit of a pickle with that hedge and had to back out and take a hit ?

Im not going to name him, but chasing work to keep the lads going. Poor business.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 2

Again thanks for all great advice and thank you for this message gives me a lot of room to think. For me it’s all about learning, increasing my knowledge and growing as a person and I’m with my career. I’m planning on doing a fall tree surgery course doing many different things to get me where I wanna be and in some way maybe not cost-effective but for me it’s the passion of working with nature.  I do this for the love of working in nature and then horticulture. For me it’s about doing what I love making some money and making a bit of profit

20 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

If you just want to cut down trees, look at getting into forestry, there's always vacancies for cutters. You'll need more tickets and time to get good at it. it's tough work but it comes with lower overheads and less time spent pricing. You will end up working long hours in all weather though!

I would just add that although what Conor says is basically true your body will suffer in time and all romance aside it is a snot gobbing job in the pissing rain on a steep bank where the harvester can't get .  Just saying .

Edited by Stubby

35 minutes ago, parkertrees said:

Its when you climb into the hedge, and realise its actually 1.6km wide....

Yep I had to take my cap off and walk away from a couple of jobs a little red faced saying 'sorry I completely underestimated this it's a weeks work that I put a day and half on!'

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rob D said:

Yep I had to take my cap off and walk away from a couple of jobs a little red faced saying 'sorry I completely underestimated this it's a weeks work that I put a day and half on!'

A fella I worked for a few years ago fooked up bad. We turned up day 1of 2 to reduce a large rangy conifer hedge by 2m, massive back garden with a hellish drag. Hedge must have been 25m long, 6-8m tall and very wide. we'd got about 25% of it done by about 1pm, when the customer came back and went mad. Turned out they wanted it reduced TO 2m, which was so stupid there'd have been no greenery left almost.

After a lot of arguing between my former boss and the customer, we left tired, sweaty, and without a penny to show for it. Still wonder to this day whether anyone finished it! 

Edited by parkertrees

Good advice from Mark. Search out your local tree surgeons, do some good research online on these companies you wish to approach. Most will not entertain it but if you are lucky when you contact them one or two might be kind enough to help you out.

Remember though in truth you could be the future competition in a few years if your plans go to plan!

No harm in trying and just being honest etc.

2 minutes ago, Chipperclown said:

Good advice from Mark. Search out your local tree surgeons, do some good research online on these companies you wish to approach. Most will not entertain it but if you are lucky when you contact them one or two might be kind enough to help you out.

Remember though in truth you could be the future competition in a few years if your plans go to plan!

No harm in trying and just being honest etc.

Thanks again I will follow this up. 

1 minute ago, parkertrees said:

Turned out they wanted it reduced TO 2m, which was so stupid there'd have been no greenery left almost.

Used to spend sooo much time in a circular conversation with customer like this:

'Its all got too big, we need tidy it up and reduce it by at least half'.

Me 'it'll look terrible, as we stand here now it looks thick because all the growth is up high - take it down by half it'll be time consuming and look patchy and you'll ask us to take them out.'

'I don't want to take it out, we need the barrier, it gives us privacy'

Me 'ok when you do want to take it out give me a call'

'Yes but we got you here now as we need to do something, it's got too big'

Me 'ok what do you want to do'

'Tidy it up - it's just got too big'

Me 'but it's too late to just trim it up because if we trim it it'll cost half as much as taking the whole lot out'

'Why's that?'

Me 'to get to the end of the thing will need a platform - and after 2 years you'll be in the same situation - just poorer'

'Ok what would you recommend?'

Me 'Take it out and re plant it if it is has become a problem'

'We like having the screening and barrier though...'

Oh God thankyou that I don't have to do that no more!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2