Cheap Chinese splitters?

sandspider

Hi all

Toying with the idea of getting an electric splitter, as my wrist is too bad for much axe splitting now. My wood supply comes from my land (personal domestic use only, but ~10m3 or so a year), and is often gnarly big bits, so would be looking at a 6 ton or stronger splitter. (I've borrowed a 4 ton splitter and stalled it on various knotty bits, even when trying to nibble away at the edges). So, I was looking at a Forest Master or perhaps a Handy or even a Titan - something with a reasonable name. But eBay keeps suggesting things like this:

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Log Splitter 8 Ton Fast Electric Hydraulic Wood Timber Cutter...

£100 or £200 cheaper. Is this much the same as the branded versions underneath? I imagine after sales service would be poor to non-existent, but I also don't think there's too much to go wrong with a log splitter, so if it's reasonable quality, I hopefully wouldn't need after sales service. Or are these Chinese splitters a waste of money, and I should spend more and get a decent one, or get a second hand forest master? I'm sure someone here has tried the Chinese jobs.

Cheers.

Hi Sandspider,

I am a domestic user & I have the Forest Master FM10TW-7-TC Duocut model & have had it for quite a few years now with no problems & it is powerful enough for my needs. It came with a free stand which makes it a lot easier to use. I see they have a guard with some of their models now, but I think it would just get in the way!

If you were operating it solo it would take longer as you have to load & use a power button & a lever, so my better half operates the button & lever & I load, she sits on a high stool for comfort , so it`s relatively easy for her to operate & you can whiz through the logs a lot quicker! 

I have a rock machinery 12t vertical / horizontal electric splitter. £799 when i bought it 3yrs ago, great piece of kit, not missed splitting owt with it yet, modified to one handed operation. Doesnt take up too much room, chuffed with it and had zero mechanical issues. Rock are good to deal with over the phone too.

Something like this is better.

2096511255_download(20).jpeg.a7044210116f26ff5d7498b28e8a5874.jpeg

1. Vertical is easier and more efficient. Split logs stay on the table (kind of) and can be rotated 90 degrees for another split. Get a wide wedge that fits over the blade . Be prepared to rework the edge of the big wedge with a grinder and file to get a proper edge.

2. Get 3000 watts. It will have a 15 amp "industrial" plug and they will tell you to install a 15 amp outlet. You don't need to do this, it will run off a regular domestic plug and outlet, even with an extension cord. But don't go more than 3000w for the electric motor.

Get 9 ton. Slow but strong. The wide wedge speeds up the splitting for easy stuff and you still have the thin blade for tough stuff.

Remove one of the activator handles and modify for one handed operation. This is essential, and easy to do.

It should have a return stroke adjustable limiter, so you can set the stroke hight for the size of logs you are working with. This saves an awful lot of time.

Edited by Haironyourchest
Chinese instruction manual level spelling
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

2. Get 3000 watts. It will have a 15 amp "industrial" plug and they will tell you to install a 15 amp outlet. You don't need to do this, it will run off a regular domestic plug and outlet, even with an extension cord. But don't go more than 3000w for the electric motor.

You need to be careful when using an extension lead as you risk damaging the motor if the power drops too much. https://forest-master.com/ufaqs/operating-a-machine-on-an-extension-lead-over-10-metres/

I have the Forest Master 8 Ton, FM16TW-TC. It's fine, still working ok but not without fault. The paint wasn't great when delivered and the stand isn't up to much and a weld snapped. Design wise it isn't great for large diameter logs but fine for most things.

7 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

You need to be careful when using an extension lead as you risk damaging the motor if the power drops too much. https://forest-master.com/ufaqs/operating-a-machine-on-an-extension-lead-over-10-metres/

I have the Forest Master 8 Ton, FM16TW-TC. It's fine, still working ok but not without fault. The paint wasn't great when delivered and the stand isn't up to much and a weld snapped. Design wise it isn't great for large diameter logs but fine for most things.

Thanks Paul. When you say large diameter, how big are we talking? I've got some big, ugly logs knocking around...

Size wise it'll split quite big logs, my instructions say 600mm diameter. But, the rails can't really cope with holding such a large log on the splitter as it splits. Bits of wood can get caught in the rails and damage them.

Looking at most of the horizontal electric splitters this seems to be a common design flaw.

If I was only splitting large logs I'd look at one similar to Mr Haironyourchests