Van insurance for over 80s

djbobbins

Not a joke…

My father has signed on the line to buy a crew van (6 seat) Vauxhall Vivaro. Main reason for doing this is to have a vehicle that my parents, my recently widowed sister and her 3 teenage sons can all fit in.

He’s only now bothered to check insurance costs and is finding (possibly because he turned 80 last year?) that most insurers won’t quote. The one price he’s had up to now is £1500 a year.

I have requested a quote from Adrian Flux but was wondering if anyone else has other suggestions? It will be max 10k miles a year, social use only.

Hi,

I have the same issue with my 79 year old father. His renewal was a flat out refusal to insure and had referred to Swinton who quoted £1000 (The previous year was £400)

After a bit of searching we got a quote for Lloyds Insurance via More Than for £500

I figured the same as you that as he was going to be 80 within the period of the policy that he became a much higher risk and uninsurable by some?

• Like 1

In a panic and without phoning to ask for advice, he coughed up to Swinton (£1300 for fully comp, limited to 6k miles per year).

I have found Direct Line will provide better cover (10k miles and with myself and my sister as named drivers) for a smidge over £500 and also got a slightly cheaper price quoted via Adrian Flux.

I’ve persuaded him to use his consumer rights to cancel the Swinton policy within 14 days of it being taken out; there will be an admin fee to pay I think but he will still be about £700 better off, net. Worth it for a couple of phone calls.

• Like 1

I turned 78 last week, and have my Transit tipper insured fully comp with Churchill for £226.16.

This is a farm vehicle, mainly used for firewood delivery, with myself as main driver and two other named drivers.

Unfortunately it's currently got a snapped timing chain.  No insurance cover for that!