Solo Working with Chainsaws - Would extra safety measures be beneficial?

LeaLea910

Good Afternoon all from the UK,
I'm new here and wondered if I could ask for your valuable feedback please? I wondered if a belt attachment emergency bleed-stopping kit which provided fast, effective emergency bleed stopping treatment for cuts and injuries etc would be beneficial to the solo worker (which can be used even whilst working at height)? Perhaps you know of a catastrophic bleed kit that already exists for your industry? (Not just a first aid bag).
So a kit that provides fast treatment to a head or body wound that can instantly stem/stop the bleeding to buy more time until professional help is available? 
Sorry it isn't the most uplifting and exciting of topics. Would just love to hear your thoughts, good and bad if you can spare a minute. Thank you in advance.

In the event of a catastrophic bleed you're not likely to be able to treat yourself amid the adrenaline and panic.

A major vein or artery bleed causing sudden loss of blood pressure will kill you in a matter of seconds.

There's a reason solo climbing isn't really a thing and you need a second person with aerial rescue. (As i found out, on a job with someone who opened up their forearm 25' up a tree and missed an artery by ¾".)

Best thing to get? A watertight will and a good life insurance policy? 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 4

Belt kits already exist.

CAT tourniquets are one hand operated and you can get Celox in a syringe applicator that can be applied one handed without opening a packet.

Edited by Gimlet

1 hour ago, LeaLea910 said:

Good Afternoon all from the UK,
I'm new here and wondered if I could ask for your valuable feedback please? I wondered if a belt attachment emergency bleed-stopping kit which provided fast, effective emergency bleed stopping treatment for cuts and injuries etc would be beneficial to the solo worker (which can be used even whilst working at height)? Perhaps you know of a catastrophic bleed kit that already exists for your industry? (Not just a first aid bag).
So a kit that provides fast treatment to a head or body wound that can instantly stem/stop the bleeding to buy more time until professional help is available? 
Sorry it isn't the most uplifting and exciting of topics. Would just love to hear your thoughts, good and bad if you can spare a minute. Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, DanHorrich87 said:

Give us your list of proposed bleed stop items?

Thank you for taking the time to replying and offering your thought.

Potential kits to include but not exclusive to- 

HaemoCap™ pressure dressing
PELI Waterproof Hard Case or Belt Pouch

CAT 7th Generation Tourniquet

QuickClot Dressing

Compressed Responder Gauze 

FOX Chest Seal 

Emergency Haemorrhage Control Trauma Wound Bandage Dressing

Trauma Shears

Medi Gloves
Thermal Emergency Foil Blanket

It will allow quick response and action. Hopefully never needed. What do you think? 

Many Thanks

1 hour ago, Moose McAlpine said:

In the event of a catastrophic bleed you're not likely to be able to treat yourself amid the adrenaline and panic.

A major vein or artery bleed causing sudden loss of blood pressure will kill you in a matter of seconds.

There's a reason solo climbing isn't really a thing and you need a second person with aerial rescue. (As i found out, on a job with someone who opened up their forearm 25' up a tree and missed an artery by ¾".)

Best thing to get? A watertight will and a good life insurance policy? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hi, 
I do agree that it would be extremely tricky to treat yourself in some certain situations! I also agree that solo working is not at all recommended. 
There has however been circumstances where both have occurred though. Also, do you think a kit attached to someone in need will give a partner/passerby access to the right tools/equipment if needed in rapid time? 
One of the problems I am trying to overcome also is - working away from the main road, without quick access for emergency response ie. In the woods/forest where travel time is longer to get help. I'm hoping that certain kits - will buy some time so the will and insurance are the LAST option. 
I do really appreciate your time in replying. Thank you so much.

1 hour ago, Stere said:

They recommeded celox on EFAW + F as the MOD use it...

& thoose israeli bandages stretch tourniquets things

We have previously put together bespoke kits for arborists and they too requested these. I think we'll consider making the celox as a permanent item. Thank you for sharing this. 
EFAW+F are advising on the use of a 'standardised industry kit' so you may have just prompted my next conversation with them. Thank you so much. 
We do have the stretch tourniquets inc. already too. Slow steps hopefully in the right direction. :)

32 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

Belt kits already exist.

CAT tourniquets are one hand operated and you can get Celox in a syringe applicator that can be applied one handed without opening a packet.

It was these types of kits that inspired a 'bleed stop' specific kit. Because these are extended first aid kits where some industries naturally pose more catastrophic bleed injuries than grazes and burns etc. Therefore we wanted to equip a pouch with the resources to stop/limit as many major bleeds as possible.
The Celox Syringe applicator is another item we have considered. Have you ever used one yourself? (I hope not, but wanted to ask).
Thank you for your time in replying.

Anything on a belt won’t work for climbing unless it’s small enough to go on the harness, but tough enough to deal with banging into the tree etc.
If it’s on the back of your harness it’s not much use, same as if on the ground, you will struggle to access it if it’s behind you.
I have a peli case with a full kit inc eye wash etc that can be bought out the truck on jobs further from it, then keep a cat tourniquet and a trauma bandage in my thigh side pockets so easy access one handed for me or others.

Decent shears are worth having as chainsaw kit is tough if you need to remove anything to access the wound.

• Like 2