Energy costs

eggsarascal

7 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

That might still depend on Russia / Ukraine. If that goes to war. Sanctions will turn into the gas being turned off from Russia either as a direct result of sanctions or a retaliation.

I did read somewhere that 6 North Sea fields are looking to be fast tracked. They are old licences that haven’t been used yet or something 

If Russia get stuck into Ukraine (which I don't think/hope they will) 

we will have to get involved and Sanction them, then the brown stuff will hit the spiny round thing. How long is 'fast tracking'?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

If Russia get stuck into Ukraine (which I don't think/hope they will) 

we will have to get involved and Sanction them, then the brown stuff will hit the spiny round thing. How long is 'fast tracking'?

Not sure I’d have to find the article again. Some north east of England MP it was in an interview or statement

2 minutes ago, DanHorrich87 said:

Trial will see cars plugged into grid to ease burden on Britain's creaking energy...

EVs may help keep the lights on 😂

About time

It's been proposed for a long time the EVs could be used for helping the grid out at peak times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will C said:

So what happens when you need to use the car that you have paid to own for the convenience of being able to go out in at any point you decide to, only to find the battery is flat because someone else fancied a cuppa? 

Not read the article but the idea that I heard floated was you will agree to have X amount of power used. Say you have Renault Zoe with a 52 kWh battery which would give in excess of 200 miles range but you know tomorrow you are only going to be a 20 miles round trip to work. To play it safe you might agree to have the grid use 30 kWh of power in your battery still leaving you with 80 miles range. You wont be doing this for nothing and will undoubtedly be paid above normal rates for the power you return to the grid. Then you will recharge another time when there is less demand and at a lower rate than you get paid. You make a few quid on the side and grid can have spikes in demand smoothed without the need to have excess power station operable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

You make a few quid on the side and grid can have spikes in demand smoothed without the need to have excess power station operable. 

A bit like why I got my home battery except aprt from Octopus no one seems to be offering a decent offpeak rate unless you own an EV car charger at the moment otherwise I could top up ,y battery after midnght and never need to draw at the peak rate.

5 hours ago, Will C said:

So what happens when you need to use the car that you have paid to own for the convenience of being able to go out in at any point you decide to, only to find the battery is flat because someone else fancied a cuppa? 

Imagine it being ok to steal the petrol out of the machines not in use in the workshop!

Maybe drain the diesel out of your storage tank to boot. Madness.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, openspaceman said:

A bit like why I got my home battery except aprt from Octopus no one seems to be offering a decent offpeak rate unless you own an EV car charger at the moment otherwise I could top up ,y battery after midnght and never need to draw at the peak rate.

I understand self-sufficiency and been looking into batteries and they viability for domestic power either off-grid or FiT.

Batteries have a finite lifespan and their management software determine how many recharge cycles they can usefully do over say a 5-10 year period. A bank of Li-Po leisure batteries doesn't seem to be the answer yet. @Dean Lofthouse says he's on lead acid. What have you got?

I trust your technical grasp on investing in such a thing so I'm most likely missing something from my youtube researching. :)