Energy costs

eggsarascal

6 hours ago, sime42 said:

How much did you have to pay for them? They were £58 I think for 125 at that place that@Stere found. I know they should be a one off purchase but that still seems a bit steep.

I did not pay anywhere near that I am sure . Only bought a pack of 25 . But as i say it was a few years ago .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stere said:

Pedaling a modern stationary bicycle to produce electricity might be a great work-out, but in many cases, it is not...

One way to solve the large energy losses of pedal power generators is not to produce electricity at all but power devices mechanically, whenever possible.

Maya Pedal is a Guatemalan NGO based in San Andreas Itzapa. We accept bikes donated from the USA and Canada...

In the UK Hobbies used to produce a very similar machine - my dad had one in the forties and I used to use it as a kid.  I still have it stored away - they are not at all rare and sadly not valuable.  This is what they look like.  

Hobbies.jpg

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

I understand where you are coming from and due to the way I live I have to watch how I use energy, what do folks do when it's raining and the kids school uniform needs washing and drying for the morning? Life for some folk isn't as easy as you make it sound.

We had two to rear ourselves while working, and now there's the first grandweans on the go and everybody is working.

So yes, the tumbler can be needed occasionally, but you can still minimise it's use to the degree that the expense of running it is inconsequential if you're prepared to make a bit of effort.

On 08/02/2022 at 18:42, Big J said:

Indeed. 

For reference (because I have to track these things now I have a house there) in Sweden, the electricity price spiked in December but has come down almost 50% in January. 

I wonder if we'll get a similar reduction here?

With Swedish electricity prices up 266%, a 50% reduction appears far from a return to an affordable solution, sounds idyllic!

Some 1.8 million households are affected, the government said.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Commando said:

With Swedish electricity prices up 266%, a 50% reduction appears far from a return to an affordable solution, sounds idyllic!

Some 1.8 million households are affected, the government said.

That article is a month old. They have effectively been cut in half since then. 

They don't (as far as I'm aware) have a price cap, which means if you're on a flexible tariff then you're exposed. But the severity of the price increase was sufficient that the government stepped in to provide assistance. So unlike the UK government, which is seeking to claw back over half the assistance given, the Swedish government will pay up to £165/month for the three months from December to assistance householders.

We are living in an inflationary society. Energy particularly. This is why we are very keen to generate as much as we can with our own house. Frustratingly, the time when we really need a lot of electricty is mid winter, but given that the part of Sweden we're moving to receives 40% more sun than where we are in England, the payback time period on solar is quite short. 

That article is a month old. They have effectively been cut in half since then. 

They don't (as far as I'm aware) have a price cap, which means if you're on a flexible tariff then you're exposed. But the severity of the price increase was sufficient that the government stepped in to provide assistance. So unlike the UK government, which is seeking to claw back over half the assistance given, the Swedish government will pay up to £165/month for the three months from December to assistance householders.

We are living in an inflationary society. Energy particularly. This is why we are very keen to generate as much as we can with our own house. Frustratingly, the time when we really need a lot of electricty is mid winter, but given that the part of Sweden we're moving to receives 40% more sun than where we are in England, the payback time period on solar is quite short. 

J, 50% of a 266% increase is still significantly more than we have seen so far in UK.

Why should the government (taxpayers) fund peoples energy usage? People seem to forget that the country is broke!

This whole push towards “net zero” is utterly unworkable at this time, given the limited renewables and nuclear availability. If you want green…you gotta pay for it!
As I’ve said before IMHO this whole renewables issue is smoke and mirrors, Boris will do anything to try and stay in power and its backfired…putting us in a strategically weak position, and at the mercy of global energy prices.

So how do we fix this in the short-mid term?

The UK is literally floating on natural gas, on and offshore, yet we import the stuff from USA……green energy my arse!

I guess we either tap it, or accept that these inflated energy prices are here to stay!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Commando said:

J, 50% of a 266% increase is still significantly more than we have seen so far in UK.

Why should the government (taxpayers) fund peoples energy usage? People seem to forget that the country is broke!

This whole push towards “net zero” is utterly unworkable at this time, given the limited renewables and nuclear availability. If you want green…you gotta pay for it!
As I’ve said before IMHO this whole renewables issue is smoke and mirrors, Boris will do anything to try and stay in power and its backfired…putting us in a strategically weak position, and at the mercy of global energy prices.

So how do we fix this in the short-mid term?

The UK is literally floating on natural gas, on and offshore, yet we import the stuff from USA……green energy my arse!

I guess we either tap it, or accept that these inflated energy prices are here to stay!

Johnson's push for net zero started long before his present difficulties. If he wanted to move on from partygate and keep his job, he'd find a way to back out of net zero, not push even deeper into it. He must be aware of the catastrophic economic damage it is doing already before it's even got going, and he must have noticed that we've noticed as well. Net zero isn't distracting form his current problems, it's making them vastly worse. 

This eco bullshit didn't start when he got caught having a glass of merlot in the garden with office staff. It started when he invited the latest Mrs Johnson into his bed, and from there into senior government.

He could solve all his problems tomorrow by abandoning net zero, commencing fracking and building mini nuclear plants, reducing taxes, reforming the NHS, lighting a massive bonfire under defunct EU regulation, invoking article 16 and draining the Whitehall swap. In other words, doing what he was elected to do and what we thought he believed in. But to do any of that, he'll need another divorce. 

It's no good. They'll both have to go.

Edited by Gimlet

2 hours ago, Gimlet said:

Johnson's push for net zero started long before his present difficulties. If he wanted to move on from partygate and keep his job, he'd find a way to back out of net zero, not push even deeper into it. He must be aware of the catastrophic economic damage it is doing already before it's even got going, and he must have noticed that we've noticed as well. Net zero isn't distracting form his current problems, it's making them vastly worse. 

This eco bullshit didn't start when he got caught having a glass of merlot in the garden with office staff. It started when he invited the latest Mrs Johnson into his bed, and from there into senior government.

He could solve all his problems tomorrow by abandoning net zero, commencing fracking and building mini nuclear plants, reducing taxes, reforming the NHS, lighting a massive bonfire under defunct EU regulation, invoking article 16 and draining the Whitehall swap. In other words, doing what he was elected to do and what we thought he believed in. But to do any of that, he'll need another divorce. 

It's no good. They'll both have to go.

😂👍

• Like 1

On 06/02/2022 at 09:33, eggsarascal said:

Should we be fracking?

Looks like its a definite no to fracking. If we do need more gas surly North Sea reserves would cleaner to extract? 

Firm sets out plan to seal two shale gas wells in Lancashire two years after government shutdown order

5 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Looks like its a definite no to fracking. If we do need more gas surly North Sea reserves would cleaner to extract? 

Firm sets out plan to seal two shale gas wells in Lancashire two years after government shutdown order

That might still depend on Russia / Ukraine. If that goes to war. Sanctions will turn into the gas being turned off from Russia either as a direct result of sanctions or a retaliation.

I did read somewhere that 6 North Sea fields are looking to be fast tracked. They are old licences that haven’t been used yet or something