How come nobody thought of this before....

Rob D

Ill buy them over other if:

They're competitively priced - I don't buy the cheapest chains, although I did get a couple of free granites that have raised an eyebrow in terms of their performance / lifespan tbh. Dont seem to be able to get them in the UK easily which is a shame.
They cut as well as the best from the others (I tend to use a C85 generally which Im happy with)
They don't wear notably worse than the others - I'm not experienced enough to judge it other than I know a bad chain from a good one, so pretty good will do me.

They aren't a total b'stard to sharpen. I'll take ease of sharpening over some small lifespan uplift every day.

If a small aid to sharpening comes at a price point and performance level thats not disadvantageous then why wouldn't you?

1 hour ago, Rob D said:

Yep I think the witness mark helps with the angle but it doesn't give any visual as to the length of the tooth. And as above if you have a Granberg grinder that is going to be accurate - but why not have this additional info there if it's an option?

Hi, I hope you didn't think I was being negative, I think this visual cue is a great idea and will definitely help anyone's sharpening, cheers.

• Like 1

Im not convinced all teeth being the same length is as crtical as its often its made out to be, as long as the teeth are all sharpened at the right angles. (& as long as its  not all one side is shorter than the other perhaps....).

As getting all teeth same length would mean taking them all down if some get damaged?

Have a few chains which have lost a couple of  teeth completely and I think cut as well as the new ones maybe even abit better as the shorter worn teeth seem to help clear the chip faster.

Still the markings may helpful with getting the angles right regardless of being used to get matching teeth length....

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stere said:

Im not convinced all teeth being the same length is as crtical as its often its made out to be, as long as the teeth are all sharpened at the right angles. (& as long as its  not all one side is shorter than the other perhaps....).

As getting all teeth same length would mean taking them all down if some get damaged?

Have a few chains which have lost a couple of  teeth completely and I think cut as well as the new ones maybe even abit better as the shorter worn teeth seem to help clear the chip faster.

Still the markings may helpful with getting the angles right regardless of being used to get matching teeth length....

It most certainly is important on larger chains, and I have no experience with milling but I would image in this use it’s critical 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Macpherson said:

Hi, I hope you didn't think I was being negative, I think this visual cue is a great idea and will definitely help anyone's sharpening, cheers.

Nope not at all - and you need push back/challenges to ideas like this as it allows them to be improved/answered.

• Like 2