How come nobody thought of this before....

Rob D

Around 5 months ago after having the same conversation about chain sharpening and how important it was to get all the chain teeth the same length and the same angle - when I got an idea - what if there were markings on the top plate that told you how far down the tooth you were and also helped you keep the angle correct?

The last mark on the chain may tell you when the chain is finished - but this is too far away to get any sort of reference as to tooth length and angle when you're a 1/3rd or 1/2 way down the tooth....

How would you do it and would it a) work and b) be economical to do?

Some lines would be good - what if the first line was the shortest and the last line the longest?

image.thumb.png.5dfae277998c4ae866b851b67c56ffcf.png

image.thumb.png.e2dc484d5b78dcca7e263d8918256db5.png

So we did that and working with a very forward thinking manufacturer [who didn't just say 'no we don't do that' - they said 'hey we'll try that for you' - which says a lot about them and no you prob won't of heard of them... yet!]

image.thumb.png.96440278b908eb41a6027c1b0ece2d37.png

First few working samples made and tested... not done enough work with them yet. Chain seems of good quality.

image.png.2132eea1cb58526f449f5343d9ee7280.png

So it was possible - more time and different techniques later and we got some working chains with the markings on - hard to see in certain light but we didn't want to cause any loss of the integrity of the chain...

image.png.b8517ce0f7ba33c9773b0c788a6b75a2.png

Oh yes - liking that sir.... and there you have it - it may not lead to much [but regardless it's patent pending], but it could lead to a lot. Panther Plus [or P+] chainsaw chain.

And what if we also included some lines [in between the top plate lines] on the side plate so you have another reference point if you are in between the top lines? P++ chainsaw chain.

image.thumb.png.a69fc704effa3c312727cf663d004a8c.png

It will take some time for all the different chain sizes to be made [we also have a new labeling system coming that will make it much easier to ID chains].

So what sizes is the available in and where do I buy it and how much is it???

1) We have a few samples now and coming in we'll have it in the following:

3/8 .063 72 drive links for 20" Stihl and 3/8 .063 84 drive links for 25" Stihl

3/8 .058 72 drive links for 20" Husky and 3/8 .058 84 drive links for 24" Husky [these Husky chains actually have a further modification in that parts are nickel plated and cutters are double chromed for greater durability without losing cutting efficiency].

3/8 lo pro .050 Ripping Chain 114 drive links for 36" lo pro bars

3/8 lo pro .050 Ripping Chain 137 drive links for 42" lo pro bars.

image.png.1713b56d7f56f8bdb0fd2b21158d0172.png

• Like 14

Love it! Not sure I’ll use it but you never know.

I actually just bought a couple rotatech chains as they where a tenner each delivered. (Stihl 034) Abused one all day and I’ve yet to sharpen it or re-tension it. Very impressed so far. Proof will be in the re-sharpening pudding I guess. But a tenner to hack through gritty, muddy firewood for 10 plus hours has to be a bargain regardless if I just bin it now.

Yep it's all horses for courses - let's face it there is no 'best' chain - or best anything. There is what works for you on the day at the right price - and in that moment that is the best chain!

For some this could become the go to chain - won't use nothing else - for others it won't be worth the trying... better than Stihl? Unlikely - maybe on par with possibly.... depends on how much you value the additional markings.

Certainly the chains I have got so far look the business. Pricewise will  be competitive. Mainly it'll be ripping chains to start with but if it works out we'll increase the range across the board.

Even got some 3/8 lo pro .050 ripping chain in a full skip coming... [but not with the markings!].

• Like 2

The witness mark on Stihl chains or others is helpful when freehand sharpening and once set up as normal can have really no on cost, so I can't see why graduation markings wouldn't help folk who struggle with correct sharpening.

But I'm sure that most who have experience wouldn't need this,  and milling chains sharpened using the Granberg grinder set up, or other, are as accurate  tooth by tooth as needed.

But I hope it's a successful enterprise for you👍

• Like 2

Yep - if you use a grinder with a backstop or guide and/or know what you are doing you won't need this - but either way it doesn't detract from the usual use of the chain in any way. Pricewise it won't be more expensive than what is already out there.

From what I see most struggle with sharpening which is why there are so many guides and methods out there but having it built a guide into the tooth is new - we'll see how it goes.

A lot of people throw the chain away after they hit something or if they are halfway down the tooth and can't get the length right. This could help that.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Macpherson said:

The witness mark on Stihl chains or others is helpful when freehand sharpening and once set up as normal can have really no on cost, so I can't see why graduation markings wouldn't help folk who struggle with correct sharpening.

But I'm sure that most who have experience wouldn't need this,  and milling chains sharpened using the Granberg grinder set up, or other, are as accurate  tooth by tooth as needed.

But I hope it's a successful enterprise for you👍

Yep I think the witness mark helps with the angle but it doesn't give any visual as to the length of the tooth. And as above if you have a Granberg grinder that is going to be accurate - but why not have this additional info there if it's an option?

• Like 2