Windblown tree qualifications

Jimmy56

For the purposes of qualifications, what counts as a windblown tree? Anything with a rootplate attached I guess, but are small trees included, any minimum diameters etc?

Been badly affected by storm corrie, mainly blown but was also impressed how the wind just snapped some -->

IMG_3063.thumb.JPG.711a43655713c0f13fe38d74011d3a7f.JPG

Any help very much appreciated

31 minutes ago, Jimmy56 said:

For the purposes of qualifications, what counts as a windblown tree? Anything with a rootplate attached I guess, but are small trees included, any minimum diameters etc?

Been badly affected by storm corrie, mainly blown but was also impressed how the wind just snapped some -->

IMG_3063.thumb.JPG.711a43655713c0f13fe38d74011d3a7f.JPG

Any help very much appreciated

https://www.nptc.org.uk/assets/documents/82be462564914c65a43f638edeabaad5.pdf

300ish to approx 560mm.

Trees involved are windblown, partially windblown, broken and hanging top.

The value of the training / assessment is probably directly proportional to the quality of the venue.

Good luck

Edited by Bolt
  • Like 1

Windblown or storm damage is not for the faint hearted, i think all sizes of trees if windblown fall under the windblown umbrella, as the post above says site requirements to do the accessment require several trees over 300mm and up to 560mm or there abouts, a tree that is uprooted, particialy uprooted, snapped top and hanging tops are all in the windblown category but as with all trees every site is different and what is required on paper for a accessment will be different to what is on site, its not about doing what is on paper its about doing the job safely, we do a fair amount of windblown clearance of all types, some fresh and some that has been down for years they all react very differently, photos below show fresh windblown and some that was down for about 3 years, we have several sites at present that we are going to clear due to the recent storms, good luck but be very very careful if it goes wrong it will hurt or worse,

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

20170504_174115.jpg

20170504_174120 (1).jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jimmy56 said:

Thanks for the advice, I'm trying to refuse to tackle windblown trees until I get the ticket and the experience (if I ever do)

That's extremely cautious, I agree it's best not to stray into the carnage @spuddog0507 portrays but cannot see a reason not to tackle some windblown and learn, I don't think the qualifications existed when I tackled the bulk of my windblown experience in 1987 or 1991.

• Like 5