Team Leader Training

benedmonds

Has anyone any experience of courses, training or resources for team leaders.

Excellent operatives do not necessarily make excellent team leaders and would like to give some of the team some tools to help them. 

In the past I have promoted guys to team leader and it has not gone well, some are just ineffective and productivity drops, but  some take the chance to sit back and watch others work, resort to shouting and threats to motivate or simply just leave as they can't cope with the responsibility. 

Edited by benedmonds
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

Has anyone any experience of courses, training or resources for team leaders.

Excellent operatives do not necessarily make are excellent team leaders and would like to give some of the team some tools to help them. 

In the past I have promoted guys to team leader and it has not gone well, some are just ineffective and productivity drops, but  some take the chance to sit back and watch others work, resort to shouting and threats to motivate or simply just leave as they can't cope with the responsibility. 

Part of the reason I was told to come here was gleaning leadership pointers. Not my current boss but his predecessor was ex-service and was well known for being able dangle carrots and crack the whip.

From what I've seen, it's not all learnt from a manual. Some is inbuilt talent too.

Edited by DanHorrich87

I think  you have to be clear in yr head what a team leader does, and support them in it. A team leader needs to be knowledgeable and get across what he ( or she) wants doing, be able to demonstrate tasks and make sure guys know how to do that. If they  dont- thats YOUR problem. ( shouting wont do that- they aint in the army) if yr promoting guys who dont know that, you promoted wrong guy.  If blokes just doing repetitive tasks its easier, but if that team are carrying out complex or varied jobs, that team leader must be capable in many skills and so must his ( or her) mates. Am wondering if its a general staff issue here? K

• Like 1