Axes again.

coppice cutter

2 minutes ago, Billhook said:

Oh to be 25 again eh Stubby, but armed with three score years experience and a bit more money than we had then!

A day's axe splitting is just not worth the aches and pains of the next day, the axe is irrelevant!

Absolutely my friend !  👍 😀

On 06/02/2022 at 17:18, [email protected] said:

I have  a very old axe...the head is  over 11 inches .....cutting edge 6 inches.

Three feet in length and very heavy.......have lighter ones so over all these years have not used it much, it being more of a family heirloom. 

From the pictures.....it was made in Sheffield by Turton and sons ......the head electro boracic steel.

Takes some swinging for any length of time.......I've now gone down the log splitter route but still at times use an axe.

Not sure of age.......Turton set up the business in Sheffield 1824

20220206_130009.jpg

20220206_125752.jpg

20220206_125944.jpg

20220206_125722.jpg

I had to go back to this post to see where the dogs came in.

That is a proper felling axe the head is long to reach in to a narrow gob without wasting timber.

Edited by openspaceman
typo