Axes again.

coppice cutter

28 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

I have the Gransfor Large splitting axe and a Heilko Splitting maul.

They are both great but I guess a bit more expensive than the Fiskars range.

I bought a Silky Ono a couple of weeks ago so I don't baulk at paying for quality.

I'm looking at something two till two and a half feet long, are either of those in that size range?

12 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

I bought a Silky Ono a couple of weeks ago so I don't baulk at paying for quality.

I'm looking at something two till two and a half feet long, are either of those in that size range?

The Heilko is up the yard but from memory it is a bit longer.  One of the bolts sheared off after about about 10 years usage.  I need to retap the head.

The guy I lent it to broke it and replaced it with the GB.

The Heilko definitely handles the tough, gnarly bigger rounds a bit better, but it is heavier.

Here is a picture of the GB.  Tape measure for scale.  The GB has been great this year splitting whatever I needed… (so far).

79D447F4-A390-43E6-940C-7D285CBFCA83.jpeg

176C00CB-1D71-49F2-8011-DA5E202A91E8.jpeg

If we've changed to a 'which splitting tool of best?' thread I'll say my usual, there is no silver bullet that works best for all wood. Hence I have a range.  Used to do most with the x27 but broke out the 8lb oschenkopf/Stihl cleave hammer for really really stubborn bits.  Over the last few years I've got better technique and learnt to do more with less effort on simple splitting woods with a smaller axe.  I got the x17 which works, but at 2' you'll hit your shin if using a tall block and a knot sends the axe sideways. I learnt that with my second swing and got away with just a few stitches.  My nickname for the x17 is 'shinspliter'.  To avoid this I use a low block and crouch, the small axe is easy to use but the crouching does my back in.  I then got gifted a 3.5lb true temper Jersey head and hung it on a 28".  Small enough to split fast and do a good session, big enough to do more when the shin splitter has run short on oomph, long enough to need virtually no crouch.

It doesn't touch the x27 in tougher wood though so some day I'll get around to hanging the 4 .5lb Hb on a 28-30", and the 5lb wetterling on a30-32".  A quality old head is a cool tool, but tbh, an x21 and x25 would perform very well.

My favourite splitting axe was a 10lb Earthworks  head, on a 36" shaft, purchased way back in the 80's.

Whilst it was a bit on the heavy side, for a then 16 year old(!), there wasn't a lot of logs it wouldn't split.

Unfortunately it got stolen, with my landrover, and I've been unable to get a direct replacement, as the Shropshire foundry has long closed. 

Anyone seen an old one for sale ?

Looking on an American 'Outdoor power forum -best splitting maul no axe' , I see there's even a 17 lb Sotz monster maul -tho most seemed to prefer the X27, or lighter axes.

Suppose that'll make me another X27 customer, then !

;)

This was the Helko Splitting Maul I have.

I won it at an Axe throwing competition at Jones show years ago.

Strangely enough it is made in Germany but I can only find US based sites selling it.

Quality hand crafted German axes made by one of Europe's oldest axe...

I have an x21, x25, x27 and at least 2 small fiskars, can't remember which models. Probably a bit excessive but I know I've not paid full price for any of them!  For splitting I tend to use the x21 and x27 as a pair, doing most of the splitting with the x21 and breaking the big/knarly stuff with the x27.

the x25 is ideal for taking out to tree jobs for busting rings if needed.  The hatchets are more for camping and offroading etc. 

If I was only buying 1 it would probably be the x25 as its big enough for splitting pretty much anything but not as heavy as the x27.

Like others have said, they are gathering a bit of dust since I got my splitter sorted 😅😅😅

Screenshot_20220203-192521_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, william127 said:

If I was only buying 1 it would probably be the x25 as its big enough for splitting pretty much anything but not as heavy as the x27.

😅😅😅

Screenshot_20220203-192521_Facebook.jpg

Not having a go personally William, but I had to highlight the above bit about heavy.

People pay 100’s or 1000’s a year to train in a gym.   PT training costs more.

One of the best overall workouts is Tabata training.  Tabata being the schedule, different exercises can use the same principle.  One of the more popular ones is Hammer training.  Big Sledge hammer on a tractor tire.  Gives some of the best S&C results as well as  increasing VO2 max and Anaerobic thresholds.  It will benefit powerlifters, sprinters, team sports, fighting sports and even long distance runners.

I guess the point I am trying to make is, if everyone changed their outlook on hand splitting wood and think of it as an exercise and not a chore.  

If professional athletes can get such remarkable results from this type of training, imagine what the average Joe can gain.

Whenever we had to split wood, I would go like a loon and get the other guys to keep racking the rounds up.

Disclaimer:  as with any exercise make sure you are fit for purpose first.  The Tabata workout and in particular the hammer/tyre splitting by hand is pretty hard.

But you will definitely get fitter.

• Like 6