Axes again.

coppice cutter

Just now, Bob_z_l said:

I get this too. 

But on a cold day, nothing warms me up like smashing a few rounds about. Rather than be bent over the splitter. 

You get very warm Splitting as well to be fair. You're constantly moving and you still have to bring the logs to the splitter. The Hookeroon takes the bending to pick the logs up outta the equation, hook and swing up the Splitter.  After two lower back surgeries Ive very conscious about posture and there's no bending over the splitter.

I appreciate some like split by hand but its really not for me. After an hour of manual splitting the paltry amount of split logs in the pile in comparison to a Petrol Splitter with a 4 or 6 way head sucks any joy out of it for me. 

• Like 3

I have a decent electric splitter meself but this year I've been using my cheap maul as that's easier than moving the logs several hundred meters to the splitter.

Anyway, interested to hear the comments on the X series axes although it seems to be mostly down to personal preference. I suppose I need to find somewhere selling the whole range and try a few practice swings in a shop....

• Like 1

Yep. I have a maul and an old fibreglass felling axe,  both probably looks like @trigger_andy X27. I rarely use maul for anything but knocking a splitting wedge in. Or a stake.

You are right, all about your own preference. Try before you buy is the way. Saying that, the OP like me seems already subscribed to Fiskars, so this is all about getting the right size. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob_z_l said:

the OP like me seems already subscribed to Fiskars, so this is all about getting the right size. 

Well actually, I've had both the Fiskars for well in to double figures years now and was also curious to see if anyone had as positive experiences with anything else that would be worth looking at.

Any new kids on the block so to speak.

So far it would appear that Fiskars is still the way to go.

Edited by coppice cutter
  • Like 1