Axes again.

coppice cutter

Have had Fiskars x10 and x27 for some years now and predictably I can't fault them.

However, getting to the stage in life where I'd prefer not to be swinging the x27 when it's not necessary so am considering going for something between the two.

X25 I think is a bit too close to the 27, although if anything happened the 27 I'd probably replace it with a 25 as you seldom need all the splitting power of the 27 anyway.

So I'm looking at either x17 or x21.

Anybody own or used both to judge their splitting ability vs either the 10 below it or 27 above it.

Or indeed, is there something else different I should be looking at for smaller/easier splitting work?

Thanks.

I've a 17.  It's quick on really easy splitting stuff but being short you have to crouch to split on a low block.  I've also got a couple of traditional axes on 28" handles, one is a 3.5lb head, that is now my go to for easy splitting stuff.  More comfy length, long enough but short enough.

What length is the x21?

I have an X17  I can use it all day chipping away at logs.
Wrongly, probably, I find it light enough to use and control single handed.  

It is light enough but has the splitting power I need. 
The longer handle than a normal hatchet makes all the difference. Leverage?

If the X17 can't split it, out comes the X27 and it gets smashed. 

20 minutes ago, Bob_z_l said:

Wrongly, probably, I find it light enough to use and control single handed.  

No it's a fair point, the x10 could do more if it was heavier so you end up sometimes having to swing it two handed to split something bigger.

If there was a bit more weight you could grip it up closer to the head with one hand and it would still split.

9 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

No it's a fair point, the x10 could do more if it was heavier so you end up sometimes having to swing it two handed to split something bigger.

If there was a bit more weight you could grip it up closer to the head with one hand and it would still split.

As I found the X27. On smaller , easier , bits I'd end up using two hands but 2choking" the axe by holding it higher up the shaft.

The x17 for me is perfect. My all day, every day if needed axe. 

Different people like different things so if you had the chance you should see it you could borrow one. 
I should be on commission from Fiskars.... I've lent axes to a dozen different mates and they all go and buy one. Be it X27,25 or 17. 
** I haven't got a X25 but some mates have said the 27 is too long and they didn't need that amount of splitting force. They've not regretted the purchase. 

If you were closer you'd be welcome to try.... 

Edited by Bob_z_l

Or indeed, is there something else different I should be looking at for smaller/easier splitting work?

Thanks.

I have the X27 as well. It’s rusting away in the Garage somewhere. Was put into immediate retirement when I bought the Petrol Splitter.

A Hookeroon and a Splitter and you’re almost effortlessly splitting 10 dumpy bags a day.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

I have the X27 as well. It’s rusting away in the Garage somewhere. Was put into immediate retirement when I bought the Petrol Splitter.

A Hookeroon and a Splitter and you’re almost effortlessly splitting 10 dumpy bags a day.

I get this too. 

But on a cold day, nothing warms me up like smashing a few rounds about. Rather than be bent over the splitter. 

• Like 1

Theese adler ones look decent:

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Adler Professional Splitting Axe 1250g - Log Burst Splitter...

Whole range of head weights

Nice head profiles...

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

1700g Head. Adler Super Splitter. Super Spalter - strong construction, maximum splitting power. Made in Germany.

Edited by Stere