Walnut

Bennovet

Challenge for the summer.. what to do with this bit of walnut.. 900mm wide, but my will will only do 790mm..

I have milled a bit from higher up tree last year. Was very nice. The lowest part coming out ground was a lot wider still but also had some rot.

This looks very promising at 3m long..20220201_172523.jpeg20220201_162802.jpeg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bennovet said:

Challenge for the summer.. what to do with this bit of walnut.. 900mm wide, but my will will only do 790mm..

I have milled a bit from higher up tree last year. Was very nice. The lowest part coming out ground was a lot wider still but also had some rot.

Keep us posted bud !

23 minutes ago, Bennovet said:

Get a bigger mill so you can mill the full width you need. :thumbup1:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bennovet said:

What saw  / mill do you use, your 790mm Is about the max for a 36" Alaskan mill?

I use an old Stihl 076, loads of torque, low revving but thirsty. On .404 ripping chain. Indeed 36" Chilaskan.. was fine till now.
Options: reduce walnut sides and cut 790mm wide slabs.. I dont have bigger trees myself anyway. (Milled a 30" oak tidy)

If I go bigger.. either on same saw with skip chain? Additional oiler, slow, etc.
Knowing me, i will want a bigger saw...(Got a 241 and 462 as cutting saws)

Would like a bandsaw mill really, also have 2 trailer loads of 18" larch to mill for cladding, was meant to take to a local miller (woodmizer LT40).

What entry level mill would suit my (hobby) needs. Was hoping to have 3phase power this summer but prob safer to get petrol/diesel

• Like 2

I use an old Stihl 076, loads of torque, low revving but thirsty. On .404 ripping chain. Indeed 36" Chilaskan.. was fine till now.
Options: reduce walnut sides and cut 790mm wide slabs.. I dont have bigger trees myself anyway. (Milled a 30" oak tidy)

If I go bigger.. either on same saw with skip chain? Additional oiler, slow, etc.
Knowing me, i will want a bigger saw...(Got a 241 and 462 as cutting saws)

Would like a bandsaw mill really, also have 2 trailer loads of 18" larch to mill for cladding, was meant to take to a local miller (woodmizer LT40).

What entry level mill would suit my (hobby) needs. Was hoping to have 3phase power this summer but prob safer to get petrol/diesel

You can get longer mill sections from rob D for the mill, getting you up to a 48” bar with those. For not much money. You won’t need an extra oiler with the 076 I wouldn’t have thought. Probably don’t need skip chain on a 46” bar IMHO. Longer yes but not 46”.

You can get a 46” bar for the mill and get through lots more wood or go even bigger.

Check out the website and see what options you like.

• Like 1

Before it got stolen I used to run an 076 with a 47" Duromatic (hard nosed) bar. With the low revs it didn't overheat, although I used to dribble a bit of oil on the end of it from time to time if I was working it really hard. That was running standard .404" ripping chain.

Alec

• Like 1

Like the look of the extension set for my mill, easy fix. Then the bar.. lo pro only goes on 3/8 chain? Which means a new sprocket to go with it. But might be cheaper chains and lot less sawdust?!
Rollomatic or Duromatic? Currently have 36" duromatic.
I dont have the winch kit but always but the log on a fair angle so milling downhill[emoji6]

Spend 300,- on upgrade.. makes any bandsaw mill look very expensive..

• Like 1