Stihl 500i fuel thoughts

Johnkv

1 minute ago, Johnkv said:

I'm more interested now in going about the alkylate fuel and I think that's the way I'll go because pointless buying it mixed and chucking away a new bottle of hp ultra. Cheers 👍 

Yea , that's why I mixed my own . Still have quite a lot of Redline racing 2T oil left . 

• Like 1

Just now, Johnkv said:

Great idea Stubby, do you think it should last a long time like the motomix/aspen2? I can't see why not anyway.. 

It lasts for me and I am retired from full time cutting so I don't see it being a problem for you bud !

• Haha 1

On 01/02/2022 at 13:01, Johnkv said:

Hi guys I'm new to the forum and I'm sure it has been discussed many times over. I bought a stihl 500i and I'm thrilled with it. When I was buying the stihl at the store I was told never to use anything other than stihl hp ultra. I've asked numerous other dealers in the country and most of them agree. I'm asking professional users out there is it OK to run the hp super (green colour) in this saw? I've used this oil in my older saw for ages and I think it's great oil plus its got a stabilizer in it so it lasts for ages. I'm not a pro but I cut lots of firewood, and yes there could be months go by where it would doing nothing hence my preference for super. Can you please offer me the best advice on this? Thank you. John. 

Whoever told you to only use Ultra must of been trying to get you to spend more. Granted it's biodegradable and also has a fuel stabiliser mixed in. From my knowledge from Stihl, Super is fine to use in new saws. ( definitely wouldn't use HP ) As for keeping fuel I'd make sure it's used within a month of buying. I kept to that rule when I started 22 year's ago. As regards to my knowledge on the oil I'm going off what Stihl told me as a dealer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

I got all the rubber components changed out to avoid this . So nope ! 🙂

Why then does aspen claim you can switch between it and pump gas any time with no problems? Surely professional/newer  saws would have sturdier components to over come this? I never left mix sit in the saw ever. I drained/ran it dry to store it over the winter. I may well leave it be if this is the case.. 

13 minutes ago, Johnkv said:

Why then does aspen claim you can switch between it and pump gas any time with no problems? Surely professional/newer  saws would have sturdier components to over come this? I never left mix sit in the saw ever. I drained/ran it dry to store it over the winter. I may well leave it be if this is the case.. 

I think you can switch between the two especially , as you say , newer machines have better components . It mostly affects older saws that have been run on pump fuel for a long time . The pump fuel slowly degrades the rubber removing the coating that is on it to keep it supple  but in doing this the petrol is making it supple as its degrading . Alkylate fuel will not remove the coating or attack the rubber but, if you switch to alkylate fuel after running pump fuel for a long time the rubber can become brittle and crack . This is not caused by the alkylate fuel its just showing up what the pump fuel has done over time . If you run a machine on alkylate fuel from the get go there won't be this problem . Also there will be virtually no carbon deposits  the machiene .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I think you can switch between the two especially , as you say , newer machines have better components . It mostly affects older saws that have been run on pump fuel for a long time . The pump fuel slowly degrades the rubber removing the coating that is on it to keep it supple  but in doing this the petrol is making it supple as its degrading . Alkylate fuel will not remove the coating or attack the rubber but, if you switch to alkylate fuel after running pump fuel for a long time the rubber can become brittle and crack . This is not caused by the alkylate fuel its just showing up what the pump fuel has done over time . If you run a machine on alkylate fuel from the get go there won't be this problem . Also there will be virtually no carbon deposits  the machiene .

OK cheers I should be OK then it's brand new and I've only 3 tanks put through her so far and as i say ive drained it empty. It says it will reach its maximum power after 10 to 15 tanks I thought 3 or 4 would do it.. 

• Like 1