Helpful Advice Please from SRT Climbers...

stick with it , it can take a while to get all the new gear to work well, settings, travel adjustment ect.

if you can find the time and a tree with a clear asscent , then play about up and down adjusting gear and techniques to see what works.

it does take time.

• Like 1

I gave srt a try, and decided if I was ever going to get the hang of it I would need to put away my ddrt kit, which i did for 6 months. I did get the hang of it, and although I could see its huge advantages on some trees and energy saving in general, what I never could get back was the fluidity that I had with Ddrt. I ultimately decided to shelve it and went back to enjoying my old style.

How long have you been climbing for? My son is just starting out and once he is comfortable with knots and generally getting around a tree I plan on introducing him to srt. None of the other climbers where he works use it so after a bit of tuition from me he will basically be on his own with it.

• Like 2

Stick with it mon. 
I didn’t see any major benefit at first. In fact I went back to climbing solely on double rope for a while. Only to convert back after all my aches and pains came back. 
If anything the major benefit is on your body and energy levels after a climb.
Time wise. From setting lines to finishing I haven’t noticed a massive difference.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

From a French site, Paris in the 40s.

Srt, some kind of slip knot on his harness, anyone know the knot? I seem to remember Hap Johnson using something similar on his famous “coffee break” tv ad.

I think he’s using a hatchet to repollard the plane tree.

Not much new in the world.

B6B0B11D-D0BA-4B84-B69D-D60E22246F95.jpeg

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 3

From a French site, Paris in the 40s.

Srt, some kind of slip knot on his harness, anyone know the knot? I seem to remember Hap Goodman using something similar on his famous “coffee break” tv ad.
 I think he’s using a hatchet to repollard the plane tree.

Not much new in the world.

B6B0B11D-D0BA-4B84-B69D-D60E22246F95.jpeg.889bbfaaf1c422cd598673ea25992d67.jpeg
It's a Munter Hitch I reckon.
  • Thanks 1