Begginer at Wooden Crafts- best types of wood to use

Jzarty

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Oh what a nice thread, my wife is trying to start on this same hobby and I was looking into this forum (more because I like to learn about trees in general and saw this)... so what would you guys recommend for woods easy to find here in Atlantic Canada? (located in New Brunswick)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I am amazed by the replies I have recieved under this topic.  Thank you everyone for your input.  :) I have started carving a wooden spoon and well lets say it did not go as planned.  I will not be showing it on here as...........well it looks like I have done nothing!!  I found it very hard to carve by hand.  I have been for a while looking at rotary kits.  Also ways in which to do this indoors which is very difficult  considering the mess it will make.  I was aware of the artist Gillian Genser who had made a

incubator like box ie acrylic sheets glued together with holes in them.  Two holes where one can place their hands inside.  A small generator power fan used to suck the dust out and through into a pipe that feeds outside.  Her story is very sad but very interesting on the reason behind why she  built   this see -  https://www.facebook.com/bbcnews/videos/i-was-poisoned-by-my-art/2248370372150710/        I have no idea on where to buy something like this.  I think i will need to look to ways in getting it made.

You say you live near a forest, I’ll assume you don’t actually own this forest?

If you don’t actually own it you can’t make your business model thieving someone else’s property.

If it’s not your woodland and you just help yourself it’s theft, simple as. You need the land owners permission to take the timber.

At trigger-andy    -   of course i will be planning to get permission first from the foresty.  I am in the beginning process hence my earlier post where i stated my plan to work  indoors.   Yes I have made a feeble attempt in carving a spoon but that was out of a small block of balsa wood that came with my newly bought carving tools.  I am just dipping my toe in the water  but i am aware of the rules of the law.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

You say you live near a forest, I’ll assume you don’t actually own this forest?

If you don’t actually own it you can’t make your business model thieving someone else’s property.

If it’s not your woodland and you just help yourself it’s theft, simple as. You need the land owners permission to take the timber.

It's also illegal to burn plastic waste, if we feel like getting hung up on a point of law.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 26/04/2022 at 23:52, Jzarty said:

I found it very hard to carve by hand.  I have been for a while looking at rotary kits.

I'd stick to carving by hand. A decent knife like Mora 120 is fairly cheap and will easily slice through green wood such as lime. For a spoon I'd also suggest sycamore, field maple or perhaps beech. You'll be practising on your first few so don't worry about splits or sanding. Take care of your hands though, slow and steady and don't try to remove too much at once.

If you're serious there's some useful inspiration over here: https://bushcraftuk.com/community/

• Like 1