Begginer at Wooden Crafts- best types of wood to use

Jzarty

Hello,

As the title suggests I am a beginner at this.

I intend to start making wooden jewellery and would appreciate any help and advice on the best types of wood to use.

I have hand wooden craft tools and intend to do this all by hand.

Thank  you 🙂

1 hour ago, Jzarty said:

Hello,

I intend to start making wooden jewellery and would appreciate any help and advice on the best types of wood to use.

Thank  you 🙂

Joinery grade softwood would be the cheapest but not always the easiest to work but cheap to replace if you are making mistakes. Joints are easiest to cut in close grained woods like beech. Tulipwood is also easy to work and as soft as butter but not very pretty but paints very well.

Sure other will chip and good luck in your new hobby 😃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jzarty said:

Hello,

Thank  you 🙂

Where are you about roughly in the country, if you are near me I will drop you off a few branches of sycamore, as said above good wood to work with, often used for making wooden spoons.

• Like 2

Hellllllllllllloooooooooooooooo everyone.

WOW thank you so much for the quick responses.  Much appreciated from Woodworks; agg221; roys; gary112.  I live Scotland near a forest so I do have plenty trees to choose from.  Just need to know the type of trees LOL.  Special thanks to @roys for your offer  - that is so sweet of you.  I think I maybe a bit too far from ya?  I have taken down all your advice in my notes.  Will let you know how I get on with my new  interest.

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

Joinery grade softwood would be the cheapest but not always the easiest to work but cheap to replace if you are making mistakes. Joints are easiest to cut in close grained woods like beech. Tulipwood is also easy to work and as soft as butter but not very pretty but paints very well.

Sure other will chip and good luck in your new hobby 😃

• Like 1

Hi Jzarty what sort of jewellery are you going to make if rings and bangles you want a nice hardwood Elm ,Greenheart ,Holly all make nice rings I will post some pics of the rings we have just done ,be catefull of those ring/bangle cutting drill bits I had a bangle cutting bit snap in half and half and go flying if you some off cuts posting just cover the postage and I will send you a box full of interesting timber we have loads of small bits of Holly,Elm ,Yew etc and do post some photos of what you make.

Have fun. Mark

• Like 1

Hi Goobypunk, thank you.  Yes will be sure to use some Googles if and when I get to the stage of using electric appliances.  Just starting off with hard carving for now.  I intend to do make some pedants for necklaces and bracklets.  Perhaps a spoon?  See how I go.  If I have any succes  will be sure to post the images.  Thank you for the cool offer about the box off timber.  Will make a note of that  in the near future.  🙂