Chainsaw blade or circular saw processor?

Stihl1345

4 hours ago, MattyF said:

I would say there was a lot of difference in cutting speed, waste , and longevity , I can cut a years worth and more on one blade usually.. how often would you have to sharpen a chain, change a bar ? And then there is oil consumption.
On a good day I can get two dumpy bags of dust off a Pocshe 360 and would hate to think what that would equate to with a saw cross cutting plus there is a lot less of a market for contaminated saw dust.

Totally agree with you!

Having used both I prefer the chainsaw, although the circular saw was bought as a rough secondhand starter machine and the chainsaw one is mine from new. (Both palax)

I found the circular saw more inclined to jam and kick the logs about especially with crooked wood, although it did handle dirty timber a bit better, but who wants dirty firewood?

Chainsaw seems to be easier driven (both machines pto) and its safer as it only runs when you pull the handle, also the capacity is bigger, 350mm as opposed to 270mm. 

Of course, the easiest option of all is to avoid firewood production at all!

Hi I have owned and used both types of machine 

chainsaw machine pros and cons

chain oil , sharpening chains , large amount of waste sawdust , chain flicking off , can cut larger dia that circular saw . high maintenance .

circular saw

sharpen / rep tip yearly (with 1 spare blade , can only cut up to 11 inches ,very low maintenance ,

The above comments  are based on brand new Hakki Pilke falcon  bought brand new last year and returned after 2 weeks and a 27 year old kisa super combi (swedish machine }.

The biggest problem in the uk is that all the large circular saw machines  (48 " plus blade dia ) seem to be made either in america or canada  with no uk importer mainly because the do not meet uk H&S requirements (lack of guards } .

This is just my own openinun .

I have both machines and if you are processing below 375mm - its a no brainer as a Posch 375 wins hand down in all respects over the bar and chain. A significant degree faster without question.

There is no jam ups with an experienced operator providing you are not afraid to use a saw on the odd length before they hit the log deck.

If you produce volume don't spend your hard earned cash on anything other than a Posch as in this instance you get what you pay for 100%.

On 27/01/2022 at 10:32, woody woodpecker said:

Hi I have owned and used both types of machine 

chainsaw machine pros and cons

chain oil , sharpening chains , large amount of waste sawdust , chain flicking off , can cut larger dia that circular saw . high maintenance .

circular saw

sharpen / rep tip yearly (with 1 spare blade , can only cut up to 11 inches ,very low maintenance ,

The above comments  are based on brand new Hakki Pilke falcon  bought brand new last year and returned after 2 weeks and a 27 year old kisa super combi (swedish machine }.

The biggest problem in the uk is that all the large circular saw machines  (48 " plus blade dia ) seem to be made either in america or canada  with no uk importer mainly because the do not meet uk H&S requirements (lack of guards } .

This is just my own openinun .

I assume the reason that you sent back the Hakki after two weeks was that you could not get on with the chainsaw.

My Palax Combi seems very similar to the Kisa and the only thing I would add is that if you are cutting logs of over 11 inch diameter and about 8 to 10 feet long they are very heavy to deal with.  But maybe I am just becoming old and weak unlike all you fit young hunks!