How to split 40" Sitka Spruce rounds

Layne

I've got some 35-40" rounds, 30cm thick, to split from a recently felled large Sitka Spruce tree. I've been looking on forums, youtube etc for advice on how to deal with them but haven't found anything that seems definitive yet. I see there are lots of ways to go about this (by hand, I don't have a large mechanical splitter, only a small one for when I've broken them up a fair bit), and lots of different types of maul, weights of sledgehammer and different styles of wedges - straight, twisted, grenade style etc.

I'd be really grateful for some advice on what would be the best equipment to buy and how to deal with these. Unlike lots I see being split on youtube videos, these are very large and don't have any visible cracks in them at all as a first way in to splitting them.

Thanks guys!

Layne

Bore vertically down the centre of the ring with a saw at least halfway.

Drop a wedge into the bore cut and smack the wedge in with a sledge or back of maul.

This should halve the ring.

Repeat on the halves if necessary.

Things should get easier after that, especially if you knock logs of the edges rather than trying to halve the whole piece every time.

• Like 1

I've got some 35-40" rounds, 30cm thick, to split from a recently felled large Sitka Spruce tree. I've been looking on forums, youtube etc for advice on how to deal with them but haven't found anything that seems definitive yet. I see there are lots of ways to go about this (by hand, I don't have a large mechanical splitter, only a small one for when I've broken them up a fair bit), and lots of different types of maul, weights of sledgehammer and different styles of wedges - straight, twisted, grenade style etc.

I'd be really grateful for some advice on what would be the best equipment to buy and how to deal with these. Unlike lots I see being split on youtube videos, these are very large and don't have any visible cracks in them at all as a first way in to splitting them.

Thanks guys!

Layne
Get a grenade log splitter from screw fix or tool station and hammer in to log about 4"in from Edge of round and work toward the center

It will depend on the grain I think is going to be the right answer.  A nice straight grain will split fairly easily.  A chunk from the butt or full of branches will be MUCH harder.  I've never had to split something this large but I don't see why a wedge or two plus an axe will not work but as above it really isn't worth the effort to spilt stubborn pieces if it is too hard then get the saw out (and I'm a stubborn git who likes to avoid the saw if at all possible).  The saw will work if you get stuck.

7 hours ago, neiln said:

Or just go at the round with the axe, flaking splits from the edge. If it's straight grained stuff that technique can work fine 

Sitka usually splits fairly easy althou some fibres might cling on.

Just as neil says just work round the outside edge, once u get an edge off it often splits far easier.

I've done some real ugly beech that size althou rung them a wee bit shoter as so heavy and just worked round the edges.

My old maul wouldn't look at some of thoose beech but my Fiskars was flying throu them.

Every now and again i go back to my old maul just to see if i'm in some easily split timber but it often does struggle where my X27 doesn't. 

• Like 3