390XP + 572XPG Upgrades

IronMike

Evening all,

I’ve heard tale of being able to swap the ‘off switch’ on my 390 for an auto return one, possibly the same fitment as the one on a 540 top handle perhaps? Also, I’m after some new fuel and oil caps, the newer style ones with the flip out twist part. Does anyone know which model I could order that would the 390? Lastly, I’m after some bigger felling dawgs for my 572. Are the ones from Husky decent enough or any other top tips? 

I’m looking at you @outinthewood for some top tips! 😁

Just putting an order together for L&S, may as well get a few bits at the same time.

Thanks in advance. 

Husqvarna K770 fuel filler cap will fit the fuel and oil filler cap of the 390, as for the auto start switch, this will be an issue, there is no diode in the 390 ignition unit so it will just restart when it springs back, and only stop if you hold it open, not a good safety issue.

9 hours ago, Moose McAlpine said:

I put a modified T540 auto-return switch on my 390/395/3120.

Works fine for me.

I have bigger Husqvarna dawgs on my 572. I think they're the same as the 390, and wider clutch cover too.

20200226_164425.thumb.jpg.7f7c76b0731d40dff5c3d07803c18b14.jpg

All that bling on there and the spark arrestor is still in situ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IronMike said:

Thanks @Moose McAlpine those dawgs look like they’ll do the part perfectly. Did they bolt straight on, or did you have to buy the wider clutch cover to accommodate them? The diagram on L&S shows a few separate parts that need ordered.

The outer won't fit the standard clutch cover. You need the wider one or 365/372/390 one. As @Ben Pinnick said you lose the retained bar nuts too. It all came in the full wrap kit, dawgs, handle and clutch cover. Came from the US for about £50 posted. Far cheaper than buying here. All genuine Husqvarna stuff.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-HUSQVARNA-565-572XP-FULL-WRAP-HANDLE-WITH-SPIKES-AND-CLUTCH-COVER-/284068551659?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

31 minutes ago, HuntingHicap said:

All that bling on there and the spark arrestor is still in situ...

Only sits on a shelf anyway. ☹

Edited by Moose McAlpine
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moose McAlpine said:

The outer won't fit the standard clutch cover. You need the wider one or 365/372/390 one. As @Ben Pinnick said you lose the retained bar nuts too. It all came in the full wrap kit, dawgs, handle and clutch cover. Came from the US for about £50 posted. Far cheaper than buying here. All genuine Husqvarna stuff.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-HUSQVARNA-565-572XP-FULL-WRAP-HANDLE-WITH-SPIKES-AND-CLUTCH-COVER-/284068551659?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Only sits on a shelf anyway. ☹

Cheers Moose. Kit ordered 👌🏼

• Like 1

I just ground down the lip on the standard clutch cover on my 572/565 and removed the captive nuts to use the standard outer fit spike. Caps, I've just used the ones fitted to the 572/565. 

As for the type of spike I've found the Husqvarna "HD" ones to be about the best ( and common fit across the range) as the Safety Pro 4 or 5 pointers are a bit long for our ,as a rule , thin barked timber. Using "big" spikes tend to cut down on how far you can go with your chain as before you get the most out of your chain the power head will start to turn a little causing a feeling like the chain is too aggressive so give a little thought about what you are trying to gain ? I keep meaning to reduce the "depth" of a HD set to see if I can get the happy medium. My ported 562 really shows up the point of power head twist when I bung on a chain from say a ported 70cc saw . Had a question about the spikes from a 585 /592 the other day and although the outer would fit a 572 cover the inner is not and if you tried to make it fit I would think it would be so weak not worth it.