Is there any treatment available for these trees?

eagles5769

£500 to take a few metres off the top of a massive beech tree in a busy public area sounds cheap, and doesn’t include the consultancy fees that will also be due. 
I can’t see there being much change from £1k, and the tree is still in decline and will probably still need removing at some point in the future. And ultimately removal is only likely to get more expensive.

I’m not convinced that the contractor should be tarred with the ‘thieving, lying bastard’ brush solely from the limited evidence you’ve put forward here. 
We’ve been contracted to undertake a small, very straightforward site clearance over the last couple of weeks and the unnecessary barriers that have been put in place by the arboriculturalist and ecologist (who both work for the same consultancy) has been disgusting tbh - they have bullshitted the client to essentially feather their own nest, massively ramping the costs of the project up inventing reasons the works can’t proceed to justifying further (chargeable) site visits. They are an extreme case but it isn’t the only time I’ve witnessed ‘consultants’ behave like thieving lying bastards tbh.

To the OP - for what my thoughts are worth I’d prepare yourself for losing the tree. Kretz is pretty much the worst fungus (alongside Meripilus giganteus) from a tree destabilisation perspective - once you see the fruiting bodies the root/basal decay tends to be rather advanced. The tree can appear to be in great health, but can fail ‘unexpectedly’. I’d be surprised if you can find a consultant willing to gamble their professional indemnity insurance on retention if there are any targets within falling distance (and your photos appear to show that there are). Exploratory work to discover the extant of the decay won’t be cheap - I’d save the money and put it towards removal and a nice replant personally.  

• Like 4

On a bank,on a busy street, power lines close by observable signs that they are compromised by a fungus, recent excavations nearby soil levels been altered and more worryingly they are in America land of the free and where they litigate for everything if they can make a buck!

personally I would bite the bullet remove now replant with a nice good sized tree and know you had improved the future 

they will cost more to take down the longer you leave plus now you know there is a problem will your insurance cover you?

19 hours ago, benedmonds said:

That is a bit harsh. The in house consultant has a different opinion. 

Why keep a tree 15 years, that will need regular maintenance and expensive annual or biannual reports from consultants (thieving bastards) and then it will still need felling..

Fell it now replant. In 15 years the replacement planted now will look way better then the newly replanted replacement ..😉

I know this particular contractor's in-house consultant to be rather prone to recommending unnecessary work, she is famous for it and has been caught out before, including by me. The client was so incredulous of the recommendation to fell that he sought a second opinion, from me.

The client may decide to take more drastic action than reduction, but at least he will know that the reduction will leave the tree at an acceptable level of risk for a few years and if he makes  a longer term strategic decision to remove completely it is an informed decision rather than a self-serving unjustified recommendation to hav ethe same contractor remove it.

I make no apology for the accusation of thieving lying bastards, but this is specific to this one company.

17 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

£500 to take a few metres off the top of a massive beech tree in a busy public area sounds cheap, and doesn’t include the consultancy fees that will also be due. 
I can’t see there being much change from £1k, and the tree is still in decline and will probably still need removing at some point in the future. And ultimately removal is only likely to get more expensive.

I’m not convinced that the contractor should be tarred with the ‘thieving, lying bastard’ brush solely from the limited evidence you’ve put forward here. 
We’ve been contracted to undertake a small, very straightforward site clearance over the last couple of weeks and the unnecessary barriers that have been put in place by the arboriculturalist and ecologist (who both work for the same consultancy) has been disgusting tbh - they have bullshitted the client to essentially feather their own nest, massively ramping the costs of the project up inventing reasons the works can’t proceed to justifying further (chargeable) site visits. They are an extreme case but it isn’t the only time I’ve witnessed ‘consultants’ behave like thieving lying bastards tbh.

To the OP - for what my thoughts are worth I’d prepare yourself for losing the tree. Kretz is pretty much the worst fungus (alongside Meripilus giganteus) from a tree destabilisation perspective - once you see the fruiting bodies the root/basal decay tends to be rather advanced. The tree can appear to be in great health, but can fail ‘unexpectedly’. I’d be surprised if you can find a consultant willing to gamble their professional indemnity insurance on retention if there are any targets within falling distance (and your photos appear to show that there are). Exploratory work to discover the extant of the decay won’t be cheap - I’d save the money and put it towards removal and a nice replant personally.  

Climber + groundie + chipper, 1 day. You haven't seen it. I've done bigger jobs in half a day.

The fee for the survey and spec and photois showing pruning points, pro rata on the whole job, is £5.

The reduction is specified to minimise the acceleration of decline.

All trees need removing as some point. The client should have the info at hand to decide when to do it, rahter than be bullshitted into it now by a contractor who wants to be the one that lands the job and is willing to mislead the client as to the level of risk.

The tree is TPO'd. The thieving lying bastard could have cause the client to remove a tree unlawfully based on  use of an exemption that could not be justified. I know the TO, he would refuse an application to remove. And quite rightly, it's not necessary.

I can't speak for other consultants, there's cheats in every game. If your cheats were milking it for more work, they must be shit if they are not already too busy for that sort of nonsense. I don't advertise and I am run off my feet with purely referrals and repeat business.

19 minutes ago, daltontrees said:

Climber + groundie + chipper, 1 day. You haven't seen it. I've done bigger jobs in half a day.

The fee for the survey and spec and photois showing pruning points, pro rata on the whole job, is £5.

The reduction is specified to minimise the acceleration of decline.

All trees need removing as some point. The client should have the info at hand to decide when to do it, rahter than be bullshitted into it now by a contractor who wants to be the one that lands the job and is willing to mislead the client as to the level of risk.

The tree is TPO'd. The thieving lying bastard could have cause the client to remove a tree unlawfully based on  use of an exemption that could not be justified. I know the TO, he would refuse an application to remove. And quite rightly, it's not necessary.

I can't speak for other consultants, there's cheats in every game. If your cheats were milking it for more work, they must be shit if they are not already too busy for that sort of nonsense. I don't advertise and I am run off my feet with purely referrals and repeat business.

I’m not surprised you are run off your feet if you only charge £5 for two visits and a survey/report!

• Like 1