What teeth to run on my grinder ???

essexjack

I have the later version of the Rock 13hp grinder, with Greenteeth fitted. The grinder we built to fit onto my mini digger has Multi-tip teeth. I don't find a great difference between them, but on balance I prefer the Greenteeth. It is so quick to just rotate them 120 degrees with just one spanner - ideal if they need "changing" when on site.

I have the later version of the Rock 13hp grinder, with Greenteeth fitted. The grinder we built to fit onto my mini digger has Multi-tip teeth. I don't find a great difference between them, but on balance I prefer the Greenteeth. It is so quick to just rotate them 120 degrees with just one spanner - ideal if they need "changing" when on site.

Thankyou mate, was considering them and you’ve just made up my mind.
What size wheel is on that rock grinder ?

45 minutes ago, essexjack said:

Also is there a max size stump you’ll do with the little grinder ? I’ve got some work already and they are about half a meter wide. Would you do that ?

I started stump grinding with a tiny DR Power 9 hp grinder years ago. The maximum I did was a 75 centimetre chestnut. It did it but took me well over half a day and nearly killed me! If you take your time and, most importantly, have sharp teeth, you can do bigger stumps than what the small grinders are designed for. You will have a problem with height above 15 centimetres. I moved up to a Predator 450, brand new, after 2 and a half years it was falling apart and getting tired. I then got a Vermeer SC30TX, still got that after 6 and a half years, but would never get another small hydraulic grinder. I then bought a Vermeer SC292 18 months ago, a world apart from the tracked Vermeer. I use the two Vermeers alternately as the conditions change. Still have the little 9 hp just to remind me how hard it was in the beginning. The point of this is, buy what you can for the jobs you have in the pipeline, as you progress move to a bigger and better machine. No point spending a fortune on something if you won't get the work for it. All I do these days is stump grinding, before,  I incorporated clearance work, grass cutting etc which helped out inbetween stump jobs. Get used to the one you've got, learn how much you can safely achieve with it then move up if you think you can justify buying bigger.

• Like 1

Also is there a max size stump you’ll do with the little grinder ? I’ve got some work already and they are about half a meter wide. Would you do that ?
I would say you've got to factor in the type of stump too, how hard wood is, cherry roots are a bugger, etc. Also, it's easier if you can get round to attack from different sides rather than having to follow all the way across through the hole you are making.

Personally as I hire in I would definitely go up to Predator 460 size for half metre but have done them. As said above, sharp teeth.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, essexjack said:

Thankyou mate, was considering them and you’ve just made up my mind.
What size wheel is on that rock grinder ?

9 hours ago, essexjack said:

The Rock grinder wheel is somewhere between 12-14 inches diameter, I would say by looking at it this morning. Didn't have a tape measure to hand.

Regarding what size of stump it will cope with, I would agree with the sentiments expressed in other replies today. That said, the Rock grinder will certainly cope with 18 inch, even 24 inch diameter stumps provided that (1) You have time, strength and patience   (2)   The teeth are sharp   (3 ) The ground is firm and pretty smooth and flat    (4) You don;'t have to go deeper than 6 inches

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maybelateron said:

The Rock grinder wheel is somewhere between 12-14 inches diameter, I would say by looking at it this morning. Didn't have a tape measure to hand.

Regarding what size of stump it will cope with, I would agree with the sentiments expressed in other replies today. That said, the Rock grinder will certainly cope with 18 inch, even 24 inch diameter stumps provided that (1) You have time, strength and patience   (2)   The teeth are sharp   (3 ) The ground is firm and pretty smooth and flat    (4) You don;'t have to go deeper than 6 inches

This one you built for your mini digger. Was that the one with the petrol engine I've seen pics of on here?