Riga? What do or see?

PeteB

The Missus wants to visit Riga towards the end of February. Anyone got any recommendations for things to see/do/visit?

I lived there for 12 months. I’d recommend you visit the following:
1. Zeppelin hangers market
2. Hire a car and drive to the bobsleigh track at Sigulda. You can ride it!
3. The old city is stunning, fantastic cafe culture and lots to look at!!
4. The KGB museum will explain the history of Baltic States and the persecution by both Nazis and Soviets.
If u hire the car it’s worth taking a day to drive up to Estonia. Visit Tallin and even a ferry trip to Helsinki?
  • Like 4

I went to Riga on a stag do, so a lot of my memories are blurry. Especially as we stayed in a hostel type of affair, where the ladies who served you breakfast would then take their clothes off in the evening for money 🙀

We went in February, and as has been mentioned, wrap up warm. It was cold, and now whenever anyone says “it’s Baltic” I ask them if they’ve been to Riga in February before?! I do recall the Old Town was indeed marvellous. Lots of little eateries and coffee houses etc. I had probably the best steak I’ve ever had in my life there. Can’t remember where, but it was dam good!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronMike said:

I went to Riga on a stag do, so a lot of my memories are blurry. Especially as we stayed in a hostel type of affair, where the ladies who served you breakfast would then take their clothes off in the evening for money 🙀

We went in February, and as has been mentioned, wrap up warm. It was cold, and now whenever anyone says “it’s Baltic” I ask them if they’ve been to Riga in February before?! I do recall the Old Town was indeed marvellous. Lots of little eateries and coffee houses etc. I had probably the best steak I’ve ever had in my life there. Can’t remember where, but it was dam good!

We used to sit having coffee in the old town dressed up in duvet jackets etc, watching the Latvian ladies in their mini skirts, above the knee boots and fur coats walking about like it was a balmy spring day.... it was -10'C and blowing a hoolie.  Oh those Baltic ladies..... many a Bootie lost his way out there😀

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Commando said:

We used to sit having coffee in the old town dressed up in duvet jackets etc, watching the Latvian ladies in their mini skirts, above the knee boots and fur coats walking about like it was a balmy spring day.... it was -10'C and blowing a hoolie.  Oh those Baltic ladies..... many a Bootie lost his way out there😀

I'm going with the missus, while local architecture can be viewed, it has to be done as part of the general view and not specifically! 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, PeteB said:

I'm going with the missus, while local architecture can be viewed, it has to be done as part of the general view and not specifically! 

Pete, my mrs visited me out there after about 4 months.  We were sat in cafe and she said " why didn't you tell be about the women...?" I laughed and replied "I dont know what you mean darling"😂

Take ur mirrored sunglasses!!

Edited by Commando
  • Like 2