Ex-Fleet vans

djbobbins

Manheim Gloucester Auctions seem to get a lot of ex fleet vehicles. Little Vauxhall Corsas from rail track or open reach, VW transporters from the AA & RAC, ex council tippers and loads of end of finance vans.

Their on line auction catalogue gives you time to make a short list based on mileage and service history and then it's a good day out eating bacon sarnies and seeing how they look in the flesh.

The trade buyers will be looking for forecourt appeal to turn their money quickly so vans that are not cosmetically perfect can be a really good buy 👍 

I went from a Corsa van years ago on a personal policy to a car and it wasn't transferable. Although that was probably 15 years ago. 

My personal NCB lapsed after just having business insured vehicles for the past 8 years. I started a new personal policy at 32 with no NCB a couple of years ago for a weekend car (insurance group 20) and it was only £200. It'll be worth getting an online quote with no NCB, see whether its actually worth going through the hassle of saving them. 

Ash

I managed to get my 8 years NCB recreated based on my company car driving time. That was with RAC; not all insurers will accept accident-free history when driving a company vehicle. The promised me that when the current year expires, they will send me a letter saying I’ve got 9 years’ NCB.

The sensible part of me thinks I should just make a real conscious effort to rotate the NCB from two policies, year-in-year-out, onto the same vehicle. As the NCB is valid for two years, that way it ought to be possible to do that process ad infinitum. The problem is that I know at some point I’d get lazy and just not bother doing it, then regret it afterwards.

But you’re right, I could have got cover for something more practical than my current car pretty reasonably with zilch NCB - serves me right for buying a 2 litre turbocharged Volvo convertible.

I might give it a while this summer to see how things go - NCB will be valid until summer 2024 which gives me a bit of time to think about things. If I do buy a spare vehicle it’s going to need to be something pretty cheap to insure and keep on the road, as most of the time it’ll be gathering dust - company car and no excess mileage charge to me means that will become the default vehicle for normal use. Van will be for firewood, shifting bulkier stuff in etc.

• 3 weeks later...
There’s about 20 x bigger British Gas vans and 50 little BG vans on Wyton airfield at the moment, along with around a million s/h cars if you wanna cut out the middle man

Footnote:
The amount of vans at Wyton has trebled, they must have acquired every used gas van in the country, and then some.