Softwood drying times

paul1966

These ones in XL - I have a pair of these they're actually pretty decent and a bargain for the money paid. Order both pairs and you get free delivery, and then the money you saved on that will pay for the return of the one you don't want.

i think there a 4mm round file for that 3/8s pico/low profile chain.

U should be able to look it up on an oregon/other chain makers web site and it should tell u the right dia.

Don't try to save money by buy cheap chain (unless ur timber is really dirty or full of nails) as a hobby user u'll never notice the difference in price as use so few chains

With sharpening a chain look after ur files and throw away when dull, it doesn't take much pressure with a new file.

I bought a cheap a;ldi sharpener years ago and have never ever used it just prefer doing it by hand and ur probably quickier doing it by hand by the time u take the chain of saw and set it up..

For a hobby user i'd recommend either a stihl 2 in 1 holder as it does ur rakers too and keeps them at the right height or buy a guage for keeping ur rakers at the right height.

For the OP

Does ur saw have a chain brake??? If so use it every time u go to take a hand off the saw.

Is ur chain tight?? Even with a big cc saw the chain should stop pretty quick when u take finger off the throttle, if chain at right tension and saw revving correctly

U really should not be grazing urself with a moving chain from a saw, that is a massive red flag u really need to look at how u can work safer, ur very very lucky still to have all ur fingers.

• Like 1

4mm file sounds right but what saw do you have, it should tell you in the instructions?

Also, as another domestic firewood cutter, I'd echo the comments about not just relying on the PPE but also concentrate on what you're doing. Chainsaw gloves for example will not do much to stop you cutting your fingers if you put them near a moving chain. They offer kickback protection. Be careful if you buy the leather gloves, they can get very slippery if they get wet.

Also, if the saw is corded, watch out for the cord. I sharpened a very blunt saw for a friend and then realised they had half cut through the cord in various places.

Definitely 4mm for 3/8 pico. The pferd/Stihl/ husky 2 in 1 sharpeners are quick and easy.

Personally on a small saw I think there is nothing wrong with cheap chains like those from Northern arb, the rotatech chains.  Seem to be a few stories of snapped chains on larger saws but my experience on a ms180 where 3 rotatech cost the same as 1 Stihl, I was happy with the cheap ones.

Ppe, trousers, boots, gloves, ear defenders and safety glasses. I think foresters helmet are good even for simple bucking, they have the ear muffs and the hard peak provides a bit more protection from the saw. As said though, the most important thing is to concentrate, be aware, mindful.