Softwood drying times

paul1966

1 minute ago, Rob_the_Sparky said:

I suspect the people advertising pallets are trying it on.  Plenty of local businesses round here want shot of them.  We picked up 6 the other day from a local business and could have had a LOT more.  They had 3 stacks shoulder high!

I guess the double length pallets are some sort of standard but you will find non-standard ones out there.  We get some at work but not very many.

You know what really annoys me. The people that come round and nick them. Im not talking about you or I asking for them, but the guys that drive round in flatbeds just taking ones they find outside warehouses. You know why? Because they always leave the busted ones.... grrr..... If you're going to basically steal someones stuff on the vague premise of 'thinking they didn't want it anymore' then you could at least do them the favour of taking all of them!

I'm not sure they care if you want them or not if they are taking without asking.  At a previous company we had some heavy steel H beams go walkies, they were only left out for a day as they were rather heavy as we were going to use them next morning.  I think it is case of cruise round and just take stuff they can make money off.

You should always ask...

21 minutes ago, Rob_the_Sparky said:

I'm not sure they care if you want them or not if they are taking without asking.  At a previous company we had some heavy steel H beams go walkies, they were only left out for a day as they were rather heavy as we were going to use them next morning.  I think it is case of cruise round and just take stuff they can make money off.

You should always ask...

Ahh the irony. I import forestry stuff from China sometimes and often it comes in big mild steel frames. I not that long ago left one outside thinking someone would come and nick it as its got good scrap value. Did they? Did they ****. Probably too hard to load for the lazy b'stards.

• Haha 1

we have pallets!!!, I came up lucky on facebook, can finally start doing some log store building. The stores are going to be about 8ft wide, not sure about height yet. i have 4 8X4 pallets that are slatted both sides but the gaps are a bit large so I am thinking of removing the slats off one side and fixing them in the gaps on the other and possibly using them for the roof and backs of the stores.

DSC_0430.JPG

• Like 1

On 19/01/2022 at 13:46, Logdaft said:

Just got some Larch, Leylandii, Birch & Ash from a next door neighbour who wanted the trees down as they were blocking the sun in her garden. Have stacked it for now & will split it in a couple of months time when I use up my seasoned logs in my log store.

I built the log store out of long pallets that carry Gyproc + steel roofing sheet & flashings, all were free & I had the fixings. All in it cost me about £35 for Ronseal & mini guttering. My wee Burley stove is very economical & doesn`t use that much wood in the evening + the house is well insulated, so I turn off the central heating & let the stove heat the house at night.

IMG_20220119_113703.jpg

IMG_20220119_113641.jpg

How deep is your log store, the one i am building will be my main one but i am not sure on the depth, i was thinking about 3ft so i can get about three logs end to end to maximise storage  but looking online most are 600mm deep.

3 hours ago, paul1966 said:

How deep is your log store, the one i am building will be my main one but i am not sure on the depth, i was thinking about 3ft so i can get about three logs end to end to maximise storage  but looking online most are 600mm deep.

Hi Paul, I'll measure it tomoz, as pitch black now, plus am on the Ribena for adults! 😉

Edited by Logdaft

Make it to the size of the pallet. No point breaking up a solid pallet.

• Like 3