Softwood drying times

paul1966

I'm struggling finding pallets at the minute, any local to me on facebook people seem to think they are worth money!, plus I guess people are burning them too. 

Gumtree always seems to be better round here than Facebook for finding them - but I rarely see more than 3-4 pallets in any one place

I bloody love long pallets.

Edit
Question for the pallet aficionados among ye, I came by some great pallets a couple of months ago, made of four x 240cm lengths of 3x3 longways, and four x 80cm-ish 3x3 widthways, with another layer of 2x3 80cm widths for luck. Has this style of pallet got a name?

The “daddy of pallets” ?
  • Haha 1

I'm struggling finding pallets at the minute, any local to me on facebook people seem to think they are worth money!, plus I guess people are burning them too. 
My local Wickes store gives them away; any that don't get returned to the supplier apparently. So a lot of them are damaged, but also a lot are fine, though look to be of the lighter type mostly. I've got a stack over the last couple months for various projects around the house and garden, they been a great supply of rough but decent timber.
There's normally a pile of them on the verge outside the store. I assume it's a national policy.

12 minutes ago, Gav73 said:

The “daddy of pallets” ?

They really are! Three of them were delivered underneath 4.5 tons of timber from a sawmill.

So you just need to buy enough wood for them to be worth building, I suppose.

I'm lucky enough to get all sorts delivered at work on brand new blue pallets, and they never get picked up again. So I've been gradually upgrading the various pallets in my woodshed, now there's a matching colour scheme pretty much throughout.

They really are! Three of them were delivered underneath 4.5 tons of timber from a sawmill.
So you just need to buy enough wood for them to be worth building, I suppose.

I'm lucky enough to get all sorts delivered at work on brand new blue pallets, and they never get picked up again. So I've been gradually upgrading the various pallets in my woodshed, now there's a matching colour scheme pretty much throughout.

Ah the good old blue pallets, last lot of them I had stained my hands so I looked like a Smurf [emoji23]

3 hours ago, Gav73 said:

Gumtree always seems to be better round here than Facebook for finding them - but I rarely see more than 3-4 pallets in any one place

Hi Gav, I got mine from a local Howdens store, I went in & asked & the guy said "help yourself"!

I suspect the people advertising pallets are trying it on.  Plenty of local businesses round here want shot of them.  We picked up 6 the other day from a local business and could have had a LOT more.  They had 3 stacks shoulder high!

I guess the double length pallets are some sort of standard but you will find non-standard ones out there.  We get some at work but not very many.