Softwood drying times

paul1966

There's a whole pile of stuff I'd spend 2 grand on before getting one of those. I'm sure it's a joy to use, though. 

It’s always a toss up on what you spend your cash on. We burn about 40-50 cubes a year so need a steady supply and I’m certainly not hand splitting all that. Hiring it out to folk I know has recouped most of the outlay so it’s basically cost me nothing. Had I more spare cash I’d have bought a processor. Which is actually next on the agenda.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

It’s always a toss up on what you spend your cash on. We burn about 40-50 cubes a year so need a steady supply and I’m certainly not hand splitting all that. Hiring it out to folk I know has recouped most of the outlay so it’s basically cost me nothing. Had I more spare cash I’d have bought a processor. Which is actually next on the agenda.

Yeh, some start out with an axe and before they know it have bought a whole load more kit and run a firewood business! On processors check out Norwegian company Wee.no they sell processors which are obviously from the same factory as Rock machines but 4 of the models they sell have hydraulic saw function instead of manual leaver on the current Rock machines. Go to Wee.no - Landbruk og Skogsdrift - Skogsutstyr - Vedmaskin. They can be found also on Youtube.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Bought a Rock Machinery 22t road tow splitter. 4 way head optional. Not had a log I can’t split. I do 10 dumpy bags a day for my own use. Can’t see the point messing around with anything less. Cheap as chips too.

Fully agree Andy, I purchased a Wallenstein 20 tonne splitter a few years back, money well spent and my back thanks me every year! The only thing id change (and I think the venom splitters are same) is the way they work ie the wedge moving. I notice Wallestein have now changed to a fixed wedge so the log is forced onto the wedge. Much quicker as the split logs get cleared by the subsequent log.  Take a look at "At Home With The Morgans" set up as an option to a full on processor.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vedhoggar said:

Yeh, some start out with an axe and before they know it have bought a whole load more kit and run a firewood business! On processors check out Norwegian company Wee.no they sell processors which are obviously from the same factory as Rock machines but 4 of the models they sell have hydraulic saw function instead of manual leaver on the current Rock machines. Go to Wee.no - Landbruk og Skogsdrift - Skogsutstyr - Vedmaskin. They can be found also on Youtube.

Just to add Rock have now processors in stock with the hydraulic saw (12T & 20T) but they are still not legal to road tow and it is not easy to convert them.

• Like 1

I did something very similar, I bought a venom to get through all the wood we burn in a year. Since I’ve bought it, I’ve split firewood for a number of people (most of them had a tree taken down and decided to process it themselves with an axe or wedge, tried it and gave up as it was too hard work) that paid for the splitter in a short period of time.

I toyed with the idea of a processor, but all of my firewood is arb waste, so I don’t think it would actually work that well for me as the logs I get are already cut down to a size that can be lifted
  • Like 2

Just got some Larch, Leylandii, Birch & Ash from a next door neighbour who wanted the trees down as they were blocking the sun in her garden. Have stacked it for now & will split it in a couple of months time when I use up my seasoned logs in my log store.

I built the log store out of long pallets that carry Gyproc + steel roofing sheet & flashings, all were free & I had the fixings. All in it cost me about £35 for Ronseal & mini guttering. My wee Burley stove is very economical & doesn`t use that much wood in the evening + the house is well insulated, so I turn off the central heating & let the stove heat the house at night.

IMG_20220119_113703.jpg

IMG_20220119_113641.jpg

Edited by Logdaft
  • Like 7

I bloody love long pallets.

Edit

Question for the pallet aficionados among ye, I came by some great pallets a couple of months ago, made of four x 240cm lengths of 3x3 longways, and four x 80cm-ish 3x3 widthways, with another layer of 2x3 80cm widths for luck. Has this style of pallet got a name?

Edited by peds