Softwood drying times

paul1966

16 hours ago, paul1966 said:

Thanks, at least i know i should have some firewood for next winter, i think we will need about 3 tons to see us through, this is the lot that was delivered so i am guessing there is a good ton and a half there so another load when i have processed this should do.

1642177105149.JPEG

If you think that twice that pile will see you through a winter you need to think again I'm afraid!  Very, very rough estimate - a decent evening's burning can easily see off a wheelbarrow of logs.

But well done for going to softwood:  I've burnt nothing else for 15 years or more and never had a problem.

If you can grab Leyland Cypress it's lovely stuff to burn when properly dried but it's not the only one, it's just easily available I hope.

Loads of good advice in previous posts; pay heed to it and you'll enjoy yourself.

Good luck!

• Like 3

It will take you a bit of time to get up to speed but once you get sorted out where you are going to store it try to get more than you need so you can put the newly delivered stuff in a stack for a while before splitting it as and when it is convenient.  Hint and tip: splitting in summer is hot work so both for drying time but also for comfort splitting early in the year is a good idea.

Wood dries quicker when in short lengths but also better when split.  The bark reduces water loss.  If you split that now it will easily be ready for the end of the year assuming you stack it sensibly (don't leave it like that in a pile on the ground!).

The simplest way to keep the wood off the ground is a few pallets.  Many small businesses have to pay for pallets to be removed so are more than happy to let you collect them (just ask).  Also most pallets can be burnt if you have too many (check the stamp on the pallet for details: Ultimate Guide To Pallet Markings - Universal Pallets).  They are a bit of a pain due to all the nails but can make decent tinder if you have the time.

My first log stores were just the wooden containers used to deliver slabs, turned on their sides with a few pallet wood planks to keep the rain off.  Not very space efficient but VERY quick starting point.  I have since then moved to making them from second hand fence posts (just cut off the rotten section at the bottom) with pallet wood planks to make the slats.  Another simple way is to use pallets for the base, a pallet on end with a plank nailed on the diagonal to hold it in place and them whatever you can get hold of to keep the rain off.

Just know that you can build very good log stores for almost zero cost (basically the price of some nails/screws) so don't go buying them (Unless you aren't that handy but assuming you are).

Also Screwfix splitter/hatchet/"wood grenade": Splitter is OK for learning with, hatchet is blunt but OK, the wood grenade is more like a giant nail than anything useful to split wood.  Yes this is what I started with.

Hope all that helps

Rob

Edited by Rob_the_Sparky
  • Like 1

wow thanks for all the advice, its certainly given me something to think about, I have made the newbie mistake and got the axe set from screwfix, it will do for now as well as the electric chainsaw I have, to be honest I don't think I trust myself with a petrol one. The next thing I need to do is get some pallets and make a decent sized log store, we are south facing so have plenty of sun so hopefully will help drying out the logs. I am planning on getting another load of softwood before March so all of it should be dry by winter if it all goes to plan. I need to source a decent chopping block too.

The roughneck splitting maul will do the job fine for a while. I had one for a couple of years, just keep the hatchet sharp.

For a chopping block just use the biggest flattest slab of wood in your pile. Looks like you have a few that would suit. Use it on grass or similar until you get good though. Unless you want to mash it into tarmac 😂

Edited by Ben Pinnick
  • Haha 2

The Screwfix maul will work, it's frustrating though, there are better tools.  You've some learning to do too, technique is more than the tools with splitting.  Best of luck and welcome to the club.  I've been at this 7 years now and process 15 cube a year.  Now I know what in doing that's enjoyable and less 'work'then the 4-5 cube I did the first year!

Edited by neiln

Oh and I seem to remember some old saying about getting wood split by Easter to have in ready by winter, softwood doesn't need they long though, couple of months in the summer is often enough.

Try and get ahead though, hardwood needs longer.

8 hours ago, Rob_the_Sparky said:

... the wood grenade is more like a giant nail than anything useful to split wood.  

Anyone got a recommendation for a decent wood grenade? 

I have a growing pile of gnarly pieces, sometimes I run the saw over them again and just burn them big, but it seems a waste of time when there's other decent timber to split. But it's also a shame to waste decent firewood.

Some of the chunky bits make nice ornaments, anyway.