Kitchen knife recommendations

Mark Bolam

I’m doing a lot of cooking at the minute and my knife selection is pretty tired to say the least.

I’m after recommendations for a simple razor sharp knife that takes an edge and holds it.

Just for general veg prep and dicing chicken mainly, so it doesn’t have to be massive.

I have a Wusthof sharpener that also seems well past it’s best, is there anything better?

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I’m doing a lot of cooking at the minute and my knife selection is pretty tired to say the least.

I’m after recommendations for a simple razor sharp knife that takes an edge and holds it.

Just for general veg prep and dicing chicken mainly, so it doesn’t have to be massive.

I have a Wusthof sharpener that also seems well past it’s best, is there anything better?

Thanks.

My bro in law bought me a new knife set for Christmas. Its got ceramic rods mounted in the knife slots so every time you put the knife in or take it out it gives it a light hone.

I was skeptical of that sort of thing but so far it seems to work well.

Made by J.A HENCKELS with German steel. 

• Like 2

Sharpening is the key Mark.

For me all I use is diamond steel. It removes enough when used often to never need to regrind the knives

A cheap knife well sharpened is better than exotica left to go blunt. Think our knives are knock off Global but take an OK edge. Dont put them through the dishwasher!

• Like 1

Got a Sabatier knife a few years ago, was scary sharp when it arrived and by dint of encouraging everyone to think it's my knife and not for cutting cake onto plates etc has stayed sharp.

To keep it razor I give it a rub occasionally on a Fallkniven DC4 stone. To be honest it's supposed to be for field use so is a bit small but I got it for penknives ages ago and it works, every now and then I look at other wetstones and get lost in the options so go back to it.

Have a old carbon steel sabatier its very easy to sharpen v the stianless steel Henckel ones bought as repalcements.

Shaperning   with  a shapening steel.....

Its blade is getting very worn away now but still prefer it.

Think i need a better method/kit to sharpen up the SS  henckels.....as the sharpening  steel  doesn't work on them well

Anyway go for carbon steel over SS  is my take on it......for ease of sharpening....

For a long time, I lived in denial of how strong my feelings for carbon steel are. People would ask me what knives they...

• Like 2

Just now, Stere said:

Have a old carbon steel sabatier its very easy to sharpen v the stianless steel Henckel ones bought as repalcements.

Shaperning   with  a shapening steel.....

Its blade is getting very worn away now but still prefer it.

Think i need a better method/kit to sharpen up the SS  henckels.....as the sharpening  steel  doesn't work on them well

Anyway go for carbon steel over SS  is my take on it......for ease of sharpening....

For a long time, I lived in denial of how strong my feelings for carbon steel are. People would ask me what knives they...

Good old carbon steel takes a far better edge and is easy to sharpen. You never see chisels and saws made of SS for good reason 

• Like 2

SMILE.AMAZON.CO.UK

Victorinox VIC-41527 Santoku Knife, Fluted Blade, Rosewood, 17cm : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

Or:

SMILE.AMAZON.CO.UK

Victorinox 12145 Rosewood Chefs Knife 19cm, Wood, Brown : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

And: 

SMILE.AMAZON.CO.UK

Free delivery and returns on all eligible orders. Shop BearMoo Sharpening Stone 2 in 1 Sharpening Stone for Knives...

• Like 1