Kitchen knife recommendations

Mark Bolam

7 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

I’ve never had any success using a steel.

Operator error!

You are probably going need to get knife sharpening jig then. I dont think keeping the angle right is any easier on a water stone just different.

Looking at some of the beautiful knives linked in this thread I might have room in draw for just one more 😃

• Like 3

14 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Mate of mines wife is an agent for Global, my ex bought a set off her at trade. Second to none. Eye watering expensive mind.

I think anyone who buys Global are conned into buying a brand name and buying into the hype. If I was to spend £250 plus on a knife again Global would be the last brand Id consider. 

I have a bit of a thing about knives and sharpening them. My kitchen knives are the ones Sainsburys sell, carving knife, chefs knife, one of those Japanese looking things, a veg knife and a parer. Bought a wooden knife block from Lakeland or similar and they live in there, had to modify one of the slots with my Silky as the slots wouldn't accommodate two bigger knives. I already had a decent steel and I sharpen with that when needed.

They are sharp, do the job perfectly well enough and didn't break the bank. They go in the dishwasher with no issues and if they do go wrong for some unknown reason I can go and get another for reasonable money. I even let the missus use them!

My thing about knives caused me to spoil myself by buying a fairly expensive Robert David Laguiole folding pocket knife with olive scales, fancy filework and pretty silver pins. It was a just for looking at knife really and never used in anger, in fact in the two years I have owned it I probably sliced a tomato with it and possibly cut a sandwich in half. At the weekend I picked it up, opened it and when I closed it again it snapped shut and the end inch of the blade fell off. You won't believe how gutted I am.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I think anyone who buys Global are conned into buying a brand name and buying into the hype. If I was to spend £250 plus on a knife again Global would be the last brand Id consider. 

Sounds a bit like people who won't/don't use Apple products, you either get on with them or not. Global are a quality knive that hold an edge, horses for courses, as ever.

• Like 1