April 2022 VED rise

Baldbloke

Just wondering whether this applies to existing petrol and diesel vehicles or just new ones? The article isn’t too clear over whether it’s new rules for all or just new rules for new cars.

If it’s a massive hike for all, what’s to stop you cashing in your remaining duty and renewing a month before to at least get 11 months at the present rip off rate?

AgEXQWpOT2Y0cnpkU1BtOHhTSWJ6RVFSMmcANA

APPLE.NEWS
Vehicle Excise Duty rates rise from April 11

Same here oldest 1949, youngest 2005

[emoji1303]. Mine are 1978, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2012, and 2015.

Driving down from the North East of Scotland to Central London on a 42 year old bike, I cannot tell you how much pleasure it gave me to run a vehicle Road Tax free and Congestion Tax free for the first time in my life. I’d seriously consider looking for an historic car that was reliable and cheap enough to use as a daily driver. But unlike an old big bike that can comfortably cruise at 70 + while returning 50 mpg, such an ask of an older car might be a stretch as well as a salt attracting bit of rust after a couple of winters.

Some older car are fie to run as daily drivers but I guess it depends on how far you drive and where you drive.  However, fuel consumption can be a higher cost than the tax rates so not necessarily a good idea.

I'm not seeing anything in there on pre-2001 vehicles but I doubt those will be let off.  The exchequer needs to keep the money coming in and has promised to tax electric car less and is also losing out on fuel tax incomes from electric vehicles so has to claw it back somewhere.  Prepare to repeated rises in the next few years as they justify balancing the books anyway they can.

• Like 1

Some older car are fie to run as daily drivers but I guess it depends on how far you drive and where you drive.  However, fuel consumption can be a higher cost than the tax rates so not necessarily a good idea.

I'm not seeing anything in there on pre-2001 vehicles but I doubt those will be let off.  The exchequer needs to keep the money coming in and has promised to tax electric car less and is also losing out on fuel tax incomes from electric vehicles so has to claw it back somewhere.  Prepare to repeated rises in the next few years as they justify balancing the books anyway they can.

I understand that in some of the US States, where’s there’s many EVs that they’re reintroducing taxes on them too.
Makes sense really. Incentivise you to go electric, and then when you are committed start to tax you.