Helmet Standards

Loop

Hi all, I'm just starting to requalify in a few weeks and have been given a list of kit for the course. The college in question has said to supply, gloves, trousers and boots all with the CE chainsaw logo on them as below, which is fine, I have those. The list also says that the helmet should have the chainsaw logo too, but that can't be right can it? The logo in question is the one I've added below, found on something other than a helmet.

The helmets I have seen for sale don't seem to indicate if they have the logo or not, just that they have the necessary EN 397 standards. I thought the CE chainsaw logo was compliance with EN 381 which deals with chain speed tests which surely does not apply to helmets does it? The college in question has not been much help when I've asked them to clarify the list.

Any help greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Chainsaw Logo 02a.jpg

Edited by Loop
Attached image was too big, added a smaller one.

Lids won’t have the chainsaw logo because as you say they are not protective against chainsaw cuts in the way that leggings or gloves are. For ground based tickets the lids will just need to comply with en397 but it would be worth getting one that complies with ariel standards (chin strap) if you intend on climbing or being ariel rescue. Have you checked the nptc assesment criteria as it may detail what standards the kids needs to have in that? I’m not a trainer or assessor these are just my comments based on training I’ve done.

• Like 1

A ground helmet has a chin strap (if fitted) that breaks too easily for climbing and does not perform with side impacts so can never be used up a tree. (EN 397)

Climbing helmet lacks the peak that adds to kick back protection and the chin strap is considered too strong for ground use. (EN12492)

Loads of people use a climbing helmet on the ground with no problems, if you are using a saw up a tree you ought to be pretty competent on the ground is the view 😉 

Edited by Canal Navvy
Added EN no's
  • Like 1

Your helmet needs to have a full face mesh visor for ground based training/assessment, not the climbing helmet with the short, half face clear visor type. If your going to move into aerial cutting, get a climbing helmet with a full face mess visor and you won’t need to change it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JaySmith said:

Lids won’t have the chainsaw logo because as you say they are not protective against chainsaw cuts in the way that leggings or gloves are. For ground based tickets the lids will just need to comply with en397 but it would be worth getting one that complies with ariel standards (chin strap) if you intend on climbing or being ariel rescue. Have you checked the nptc assesment criteria as it may detail what standards the kids needs to have in that?

Thanks for the reply Jay, a chainsaw logo on a helmet did sound weird. I've scoured the info they gave me and the assessment criteria does talk about protection but it doesn't go into detail anywhere:
"7. Appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) must be worn at all times by both the candidate and the assessor. All PPE used must
comply with relevant AFAG guidance, industry good practice, Health and Safety Executive publications and current legal requirements in
terms of specification and use
."

16 hours ago, 5thelement said:

Your helmet needs to have a full face mesh visor for ground based training/assessment, not the climbing helmet with the short, half face clear visor type. If your going to move into aerial cutting, get a climbing helmet with a full face mess visor and you won’t need to change it.

Sounds good, I will try to get one that works for both when I'm ready for the climbing/aerial rescue stuff.

Thanks for all the replies, eased my mind on the subject. I'm paying for all this off my own back so don't want to turn up for the course and get binned off for having the wrong helmet. I've got a Stihl helmet on order now so it should all be good.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Jay, a chainsaw logo on a helmet did sound weird. I've scoured the info they gave me and the assessment criteria does talk about protection but it doesn't go into detail anywhere:
"7. Appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) must be worn at all times by both the candidate and the assessor. All PPE used must
comply with relevant AFAG guidance, industry good practice, Health and Safety Executive publications and current legal requirements in
terms of specification and use."

When I did my ground based tickets I used an old school Husqvarna orange lid and when I did the climbing tickets the Stein lid, that was a while back mind so I’m sure standards have been amended since then. I think the instructor and accessor will be more likely to check that your saw has basic features such as positive on/off switch and chain catcher than the lid you are wearing. Obviously lid needs to be compliant and fit for purpose.
  • Like 1