Leaving the military

Tom 21

Evening all, 

In the process of planning a career transition from the military into tree surgery. I see there is a big ex forces community on here, so hoping some.of you may be able to help. 

What is the best ELCAs recognised course to be on? 

I'm based in the south so ideally looking for somewhere down here. 

I have an employer lined up that is willing to train me on site alongside courses. 

Thanks in advance 

Tom 

A lot of guys have used Kingswood Training in Kent who offer the resettlement packages. They often give you 30,31,38 and 39 or whatever they are called now.

Best thing to do get the basic tickets then do some work with a firm to learn as you go. You say you have an email other lined up which is great as the college or training place will teach you how to do it by the book to pass the ticket then a good firm will show you how to do it in a commercial setting and operate properly. Good luck, I’ve worked with some good ex military guys over the years as they often have a good work ethic, common sense and know how to put a shift in

6 minutes ago, Tom 21 said:

Need to find an ELCAs recognised training provider, this seems to be the sticking point. 

The Enhanced Learning Credit Scheme (ELC) provides financial support towards retraining to those...

These guys are great (I’m not a service leaver myself, but I have plenty of experience training service leavers).

• Like 1

WWW.BRAMPTONVALLEYGROUP.CO.UK

ELCAS Training with Brampton Valley Training & Assessments Ltd Brampton Valley Training & Assessments are at the forefront of Service Leaver Training and have developed course packages that are ideally suited for services leavers aiming to create a new career within the Arboricultural and Forestry Industries. Our courses will provide Service leavers all the relevant, ...

Also do ELCAS and is where I have done my tickets, up the A34 to Towcester so we seem to be drawing an arc around Portsmouth but not getting much nearer.

One other thing I’d recommend is getting a tree ID book like the Collins guide to familiarise yourself with the most common species of trees. How different species of trees grow, respond to pruning and their general characteristics will definitely help as you start working on them. Also the NPTC assessment criteria is available online, some of it may seem alien to start with but will come clearer when you start your training and may give you a head start.

Thanks for the advice Jaysmith, will look into that.

Dan maynard, thanks for the advice, will be contacting the mentioned training providers today. Sparsholt college is my nearest arb college, unfortunatly its looking like i cant use my ELCAs to fund their courses.