Aspen for a 40:1 mix

shailagh

My understanding of old engines calling for 25:1 or 40:1 (rather than contemporary standard 50:1) mixes is that those mixes were specified at a time where oil was less good so you needed more of it. My understanding follows that fuel with contemporary, better oil can be mixed at 50:1 and will be fine. My own findings back this up. I have an old (early 90s, maybe late 80s) Tecumseh engine that calls for 24:1. I started it on 25:1 and weaned it onto 50:1 over about ten tanks. It works fine on 50:1, including being held open on the governor for full minutes at a time. I've probably done forty or fifty sessions between cold with it on 50:1 and it seems fine. I use Stihl MotoMix (50:1 from the factory) and the extra oil I was adding was just cheap stuff from a motor factor.

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 1

Oil does a lot more than lubricate though. It does five things in fact, some of which may be a bit academic in a two stroke, but anyway, it; lubricates, cools, cleans and carries away impurities and keeps them in suspension, seals, and prevents corrosion..

Personally, i would use the ratio the makers specified, but if you have had no problems, then happy days..

I would be careful adding extra oil to premix though as the oil you are adding [the cheap stuff would be JASO FB] might not be compatible with whatever is in the premix [The oil in the stihl motomix is JASO FB so should be ok though]

NEVER use anything that says API TCW on the label though.. This is for motor boat engines and has all the "goodness" taken out lest it hurt the fish..

As a point of interest, the makers of my ECHO saws state that you must use a JASO FD oil for them, and so i use the Husqvarna XP2 as this has the FD oil required..

john..

13 minutes ago, shailagh said:

OK SO my understanding is that even though its Aspen, it still requires oil mix (eye roll moment..).  

Can anyone back up that Aspen can sit in a saw for a few months at a time?

No . You can buy Aspen 2 ( pink can ) which is Alkylate fuel mixed with good quality oil @ 50 : 1 . Or , you can buy Aspen 4 ( blue can ) which you can put into 4 stroke engines or , mix with your oil of choice for 2 stroke engines . I mix Aspen 4 with Red Line Racing oil a@ 50:1 just coz I have quite a lot of Red line oils here .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1