Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DanHorrich87

Rats and Lecky

Recommended Posts

Rodents have eaten through the insulating sheath of the live wire of our main 6mm electric cable in our tied house. We can see it where it goes up into ceiling.

 

Quick question for any sparkies here about best practice.

 

Does the ceiling need tearing down and the entire length of cable need replacing? Or.

 

Given there's another slack can the eaten bit simply be cut out and rejoined.

 

I ask because the ceiling is artix which means asbestos and the Mrs wants to know where we stand when we get the estate manager to book it in for fixing. TiA.

 

Oh. I'm not an expert. I will not bodge it myself. Before anyone gets on their high horse 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a pic?

Depends on what is damaged, if it is 6mm it may be an earth (CPC)

If it is on your side of meter then it sounds like it might just be a case of a quick knock of the power on your consumer unit, disconnect earth,  a bit of earth heat shrink over the damaged section of insulation, reconnect. Although 6mm sounds a bit on the light side.

If it is on the DNO side then it is a repair for them as it may be soldered onto cable head and you don’t want to touch that.

If it is indeed “your” live then it may just need the double insulated tail changed between meter and consumer unit.

Anyways let see a pic and see if that tells us anymore.

Edited by roys
More info
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, roys said:

Got a pic?

Depends on what is damaged, if it is 6mm it may be an earth (CPC)

If it is on your side of meter then it sounds like it might just be a case of a quick knock of the power on your consumer unit, disconnect earth,  a bit of earth heat shrink over the damaged section of insulation, reconnect. Although 6mm sounds a bit on the light side.

If it is on the DNO side then it is a repair for them as it may be soldered onto cable head and you don’t want to touch that.

If it is indeed “your” live then it may just need the double insulated tail changed between meter and consumer unit.

Anyways let see a pic and see if that tells us anymore.

Thanks Roys

 

I'm working away from home and waiting for a pic to upload. This pic is off eBay. 1.5mm.

image.png.c040bc576ac480503be809c888da0a29.png

Red and black like the one at home but it'll be 6 X 1mm I've been told. The shrink wrap is good news regarding the artex on the ceiling. Thanks again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully all will be revealed when we get the pic of the damage, all speculation up till then. Continuing with the speculation if it is a 6mm t&e then it is likely to be a cooker or small shower feed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They moved my Mrs & kids into a mobile home to get it sorted. I'm away. Want to help but can't. 🤬

 

Anyway. Sparky pulled up the floorboards upstairs because of the asbestos problem and replaced the entire length from shared fuse box with neighbour to our consumer unit. More details when I get back. But my family is safe and the house is safe. Tomorrow they replace the floorboards upstairs and put back all the furniture that was piled up in the back room.

 

Was good knowing there was someone on here who knew what was what. Thanks again.

IMG_0946.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like your spark went about this the right way and it’s good the entire cable is changed. Cheers for letting us know the outcome.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently went to a 6 month old toyota hybrid rat got in through rear wing vent and had a feast.ate wiring including nibbling hv wires and wiring behind dash car was deemed a write off due to high voltage wiring damage pesky critters

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rapalaman said:

Have the rats been dealt with? If not they’ll be back for another chew

The rats had holes to go through along and between the joists! It's an old house. The chippy way back when perhaps made allowances???

 

Rat traps are always down. They always come in wintertime. We've got used to them. Rural life!

Edited by DanHorrich87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it’s any consolation , this is my TRAPPED rat count from last year as owing to our estate ‘manager’ clearing a neighbours shit tip without first poisoning the rats .
As expected all they did was migrate .
We normally get a few in the Fenn traps but this last year was bonkers. This was as well as occasional poisoning which I personally don’t like due to proximity of dogs and hedgehogs etc IMG_1641929229.461345.jpg

(In case you’re wondering what the (iiii) are in brackets……one of them gave birth in one of the live catch traps !!!!

I would suggest that unless you are especially canny at trapping rats, they will become ‘trap shy’ , especially the older ones who’ve had a close call or ran over their trapped mate !

Good luck

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  •  

  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.