Rats and Lecky

DanHorrich87

Rodents have eaten through the insulating sheath of the live wire of our main 6mm electric cable in our tied house. We can see it where it goes up into ceiling.

Quick question for any sparkies here about best practice.

Does the ceiling need tearing down and the entire length of cable need replacing? Or.

Given there's another slack can the eaten bit simply be cut out and rejoined.

I ask because the ceiling is artix which means asbestos and the Mrs wants to know where we stand when we get the estate manager to book it in for fixing. TiA.

Oh. I'm not an expert. I will not bodge it myself. Before anyone gets on their high horse 🙂

• Like 1

Got a pic?

Depends on what is damaged, if it is 6mm it may be an earth (CPC)

If it is on your side of meter then it sounds like it might just be a case of a quick knock of the power on your consumer unit, disconnect earth,  a bit of earth heat shrink over the damaged section of insulation, reconnect. Although 6mm sounds a bit on the light side.

If it is on the DNO side then it is a repair for them as it may be soldered onto cable head and you don’t want to touch that.

If it is indeed “your” live then it may just need the double insulated tail changed between meter and consumer unit.

Anyways let see a pic and see if that tells us anymore.

Edited by roys
More info
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, roys said:

Got a pic?

Depends on what is damaged, if it is 6mm it may be an earth (CPC)

If it is on your side of meter then it sounds like it might just be a case of a quick knock of the power on your consumer unit, disconnect earth,  a bit of earth heat shrink over the damaged section of insulation, reconnect. Although 6mm sounds a bit on the light side.

If it is on the DNO side then it is a repair for them as it may be soldered onto cable head and you don’t want to touch that.

If it is indeed “your” live then it may just need the double insulated tail changed between meter and consumer unit.

Anyways let see a pic and see if that tells us anymore.

Thanks Roys

I'm working away from home and waiting for a pic to upload. This pic is off eBay. 1.5mm.

image.png.c040bc576ac480503be809c888da0a29.png

Red and black like the one at home but it'll be 6 X 1mm I've been told. The shrink wrap is good news regarding the artex on the ceiling. Thanks again.

They moved my Mrs & kids into a mobile home to get it sorted. I'm away. Want to help but can't. 🤬

Anyway. Sparky pulled up the floorboards upstairs because of the asbestos problem and replaced the entire length from shared fuse box with neighbour to our consumer unit. More details when I get back. But my family is safe and the house is safe. Tomorrow they replace the floorboards upstairs and put back all the furniture that was piled up in the back room.

Was good knowing there was someone on here who knew what was what. Thanks again.

IMG_0946.JPG

1 hour ago, rapalaman said:

Have the rats been dealt with? If not they’ll be back for another chew

The rats had holes to go through along and between the joists! It's an old house. The chippy way back when perhaps made allowances???

Rat traps are always down. They always come in wintertime. We've got used to them. Rural life!

Edited by DanHorrich87

If it’s any consolation , this is my TRAPPED rat count from last year as owing to our estate ‘manager’ clearing a neighbours shit tip without first poisoning the rats .
As expected all they did was migrate .
We normally get a few in the Fenn traps but this last year was bonkers. This was as well as occasional poisoning which I personally don’t like due to proximity of dogs and hedgehogs etc IMG_1641929229.461345.jpg

(In case you’re wondering what the (iiii) are in brackets……one of them gave birth in one of the live catch traps !!!!

I would suggest that unless you are especially canny at trapping rats, they will become ‘trap shy’ , especially the older ones who’ve had a close call or ran over their trapped mate !

Good luck

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1