OPINIONS WANTED!

Jamesedwards.jtr

What’s green and sleeps 4.....?

A Glendale crew cab tipper transit 😂

On a more serious note - are work / business models in need of a fundamental change?

It is widely acknowledged that those at the more motivated end of the spectrum will naturally gravitate towards self enrichment through self employment - this seems to be a common and recurring theme amongst employment / business discussion threads here. And why not - flexibility, reward in relation to effort, satisfaction etc, etc...

Whilst established structural business, corporate and institutional models may offer career path progression, they are invariably cumbersome, glacial and incremental and rarely, truly, reflect effort and facilitate rapid advancement. It’s a ‘different’ worker today as compared to yesteryear (wild generalisation warning) and perhaps a different employment model is required?

One possible option could be to increase the outsourcing of suitable tasks to stand alone self employed or SME outfits and reduce corporate liabilities?

Obviously this has + & - implications. Not least of which you’d still have to ‘attract’ SMEs into even wanting to sub contract and the word on the streets is that low rates and slow payments aren’t making Glendale an attractive option under current circumstances. 

I guess there will always be that simple bottom line - low rates & slow payments are not going to generate superstar performance. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Look at the number of adverts and people saying they have no response.

When I did my degree (engineering) I was sponsored by Lucas - they had excellent training from apprentice through to management and earned a reputation for it so it was a good place to get a job. This was early 90s though, cutbacks since then.

I think the Glendale's of the world should be thinking long term and training people, yes some will come and learn and leave but some will stay.

I also think they have gone in for large contracts and low balled it to win.

Then try and build teams to meet the target without actually realising how much it takes to do the work correctly.  Guys on-site have to meet rediculous target, they are at the lower end of the pay scale and skill level.  Hence all the butchered trees you see.

• Like 6

Where's that video showing the dipsticks that work for glendales fell a tree next to transit that falls on the transit? 

I've seen another where a lad chogs a big bit off it cart wheels off and takes out a brick pillar... 

Kinda sums the intelligence of some of the workers up there for me...... 

Where are your team leaders and good staff? Surely you can't just be sending out a van full of newbies to every job?

• Like 1

I've heard of a  Glendales yard being a good place, where there are experienced people who will help develop peoples careers. I've also heard of places where the work is so generic that there's no incentive to stay. Money plays a big part in these things but there is something to be said for getting up to production climbing speed and places like Glendales can give you that experience. I suppose it depends on the people involved and the location.

I was looking at tree work at a customers place recently. Well I’ve never met the client, just the house manager for this property

The garden is 75 acres of mostly well kept garden.
Glendale’s have the maintenance contract.
They supply 4/5 gardeners every day all year round. And until recently had sourced machinery such as tractors / large mowers etc.
The House manager informed me that they were on the way out. He explained that the management had a very unprofessional attitude and just didn’t seem to care much.
They were also trying to source new purchases such as large compact tractors etc. The house manager said they added about 15 or 20% to the list prices at lister wilder and expected it not to be noticed …. 🤦‍♂️.
A lucrative contract lost, probably multiplied by losing the contract on the owners other houses.
That said the house manager was newly appointed and obviously trying to make a name for himself. Give it a year he’ll probably be be gone. He’s the Third in 2 or so years I’ve done tree work there.
Those Russians don’t suffer fools…… I think the first house manager is at the bottom of the lake there …. [emoji848]

• Like 1
  • Haha 3