OPINIONS WANTED!

Jamesedwards.jtr

I am doing some unofficial market research.

I work for Glendale and despite our best efforts we are struggling to recruit arborists. Therefore, I would like to know your opinions on Glendale.

Please post your reply if you want - any responses will be used anonymously and as research ONLY - or answer the pole.

Thanks

17 hours ago, Jamesedwards.jtr said:

Despite our best efforts we are struggling to recruit arborists.

Let's start with basic info.

What pay are you offering?

Most companies offer shit pay and can't understand why they're not attracting candidates, but it's glaringly obvious to everyone else.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Jamesedwards.jtr said:

I am doing some unofficial market research.

I work for Glendale and despite our best efforts we are struggling to recruit arborists. Therefore, I would like to know your opinions on Glendale.

Please post your reply if you want - any responses will be used anonymously and as research ONLY - or answer the pole.

Thanks

So what is the deal hours,bonus,holiday,wage etc,

always thought of Glendale and ground control etc as where you work if you can’t get a proper job, 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

"Salary range £22,500 – £45,000 OTE"

Why is there a £22,500 range in the earnings???

That basically says you'll make 22k, but you'll never get 45k. You need to offer a realistic basic. It's a skilled trade, you need to offer proper money. You can't do anything in North London on 22k.

Also, no-one cares about gym membership or cycle to work schemes.

• Like 5

I don’t think that the scenario is unique to Glendale, everybody is struggling for staff across the board whether that be an apprentice groundsman through to a senior consultant. The likes of Glendale/Gristwood et al can have a negative image within the industry due to the work that they do and because historically some have paid poor basic salaries with unrealistic daily targets to hit bonus.

Also a lot of people prefer back garden Arb, it tends (not always though) to be better paid, sometimes more relaxed and a better quality of work. I also think a lot of young guys aren’t coming into the industry as they can make better money elsewhere, a labourer with a CSCS card onsite in London can earn more than a lead climber and people wonder who good guys leave.

Maybe put the actual ad up for people to look at? Essentially people want to know what they are going to get in their hand not what they may be able to achieve if they smash themselves out for 12 hours a day 6 days a week. Anybody can say earn £45k but if the targets are unachievable people move on very quickly returning you to square one looking for staff again. Just my thoughts though

People generally leave jobs because of their management. Do you have a decent manager/team leader structure that trains and has a route for guys to progress?
Offer a package that shows a route for people to progress and as such earn more.
22-45k is a silly range.
Do separate ads for what you need
ie if someone sees a ad for a green groundie on 22k
then another add for a lead climber on 40k it shows what can be achieved. so they can see a career not just a wage paying thing to do for the week.

I left the UK a few years ago but lived in South London for a long time before that.

My experience of Glendale.  Low pay, under skilled, unrealistic targets, straight out of college’ers, poor work quality and lots of large contracts.

Which only the spread the word and reputation of poor quality.  I would see the trucks around quite a bit, usually with ruined trees in the area.