Shoulder Injuries

gary112

I dislocated my right shoulder and cracked my shoulder blade years ago when one of the guys took the handbrake off the chipper and I wasn’t ready. I dislocated my left 20 years back whilst surfing and neither have been right since. As people previously said hedge trimming is the killer for me and after 5min I have to stop and take a break. It’s not really painful but aches like mad. So I just have the guys doing the hedge trimming jobs now. Climbing has never been an issue which Is lucky but I struggle with big rigging jobs by the end of the day. Mind you my whole body is knocked after a big day now. A good physo will make all the difference after an injury but simple movements in the morning and walking up is the key. Another one that I found was a killer after my accident was sharping saws so if the 88 was blunt I would be looking for the cheapest chain online.
This job has had a huge impact on my body and if I didn’t run my own company I wouldn’t still be in this gig.
Best advice I can give is to avoid anything that really hurts and slowly build it back up with physio, it does get easier but it always take longer h to an you think of would like. Oh and the only plus side I found was you could get pissed off one pint whilst on heavy painkillers. Good luck with the recovery buddy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sutton said:

Is it you who has sheep? I ask because we are lambing in March. I have permanent pins and needles in my right hand from 2 stroke engine vibes. Takes a while but use left hand for most dexterous demanding tasks now. Good luck.

Totally unrelated to this particular thread but we start in about four weeks.

Getting houses ready at present for the girls to come in within the next fortnight or so, weather depending.

I'm starting to get the buzz already!

• Like 2

Four or five years back I had restricted movement and pain in my shoulder, couldn’t raise it above level at all.

Did a bit of research, 99% sure it was a frozen shoulder.

Anyway, I struggled on, climbing become increasingly hard.

Turned up at a job one day, put Igor on his lead before opening the van door as usual.

Unbeknownst to me he’d seen a cat an took off like an Exocet, the shock as he reached the end of the extendable lead wrenched my unprepared shoulder and the pain was so intense that I fell to the ground and nearly blacked out for a couple of minutes.

Eventually I got up and the groundy retrieved Igor 20 meters away barking at a bemused cat on a gatepost.

I thought I’d really done some permanent damage, but as the day wore on it seemed ok, as the days and weeks passed I realised it was effectively cured.

It seems sometimes they put you under a general anesthetic to manipulate and free a frozen shoulder, I just skipped the anesthetic.
Funny how things work out sometimes.

• Like 3

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE BRUFEN AFTER FOOD.

I had loads of injuries 20yr ago and took brufen and naproxen like smarties. Long story short, I ended up blue lighted into hospital with a ruptured stomach ulcer. Emergency surgery that night and then a week in hospital.

One of the injuries was knackering a shoulder catching an edge snowboarding. Took a year to be right again.

All the best. J.

6 minutes ago, jfc said:

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE BRUFEN AFTER FOOD.
I had loads of injuries 20yr ago and took bitumen and naproxen like smarties. Long story short, I ended up blue lighted into hospital with a ruptured stomach ulcer. Emergency surgery that night and then a week in hospital.
One of the injuries was knackering a shoulder catching an edge snowboarding. Took a year to be right again.
All the best. J.

Omeprazol should be taken with Ibuprofen . It lines the stomach to prevent the above . Not sure about bitumen ! Boys from the black stuff ?

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1