Shoulder Injuries

gary112

1 hour ago, Treerover said:

Ouch jeez yours sounds pretty shitty.
I’m currently under the consultant for both shoulders (scan on each, cortisone in one so far, with offer of keyhole surgery to worn socket etc.)
The first thing I did do though …..and you’ll not possibly find this very useful …..I stopped hedge trimming !!
Any trimming jobs I now delegate and just do the raking and clearing , at least this way I can still manage to work around the intense pain that hedge trimming aggravated it with and carry on climbing, which seems to aggravate it less .
Like I said though , yours sounds a lot worse . I can’t see how you’re going to get repaired quickly unless you take some step back action and give the injury a rest , even if it means taking a financial hit and bringing in a more competent subby to help than you may currently have at your disposal ? Obviously I don’t know your set up.
All I experienced and continue to experience is when shoulders go wrong, Christ do they take a bloody long time to mend emoji30.png
I wish you luck Gary, but I think you’re going to have to look after number 1 here mate if you’re to stand any chance of recovery emoji173.png️‍🩹

Thanks, but you right i don,t think it will be a quick fix this time,and to be honest at the minute i can,t ever see it being 100% ever again

3 hours ago, gary112 said:

So about 15 years ago i damaged my right shoulder racing motocross,dislocated it and damaged ligaments,struggled with it on and off since then,anyway just after xmas was at work and it partially came out again.I,ve now got a damaged rotator cuff but worst of all i,ve torn the bicep muscle and hell its painful.I,m having treatment on it and wearing a brace but it,s bloody painful to try and work with but just got too much hedging to do to rest up.Anybody else done similar?

Jeez.  I wish all the customers who moan about a few bob on a quote could read this.  Arb work is hard work and it grinds you down in the end.  Really hope you can get this all sorted.  Sounds bloody miserable.

Two bits of advice I'd give. 

One is to fight to get a really good physio/consultant through your GP.  You need someone going in to bat for you on this.  Staying on those kind of painkillers long-term is really tough and might just mask the pain so you end up doing more damage.  A lot more can be done through surgery and physio than ten years ago.

Second - you're going to have to rest it, whatever.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bunzena said:

Jeez.  I wish all the customers who moan about a few bob on a quote could read this.  Arb work is hard work and it grinds you down in the end.  Really hope you can get this all sorted.  Sounds bloody miserable.

Two bits of advice I'd give. 

One is to fight to get a really good physio/consultant through your GP.  You need someone going in to bat for you on this.  Staying on those kind of painkillers long-term is really tough and might just mask the pain so you end up doing more damage.  A lot more can be done through surgery and physio than ten years ago.

Second - you're going to have to rest it, whatever.  

Yeah it,s pretty miserable right now,paying for treatment at the moment as it was going to take too long to wait for any treatment on the nhs,got a great sports therapist but it aint cheap

Sounds bad, interesting some of you rake up on hedge job, that's the worst thing for my right shoulder which I have an impingement in, land up with head ache on right side of head. 

Arb work is hard on the body and take time for injury to come to light, my shoulder was done when I fell of a truck on to road and it hit road first. 

Good physio is worth every penny you send. 

Edited by woody paul

That sounds positive - even if it's expensive.  It's definitely time to look after yourself. 

The recent advances in sports medicine have been amazing - and now that's trickling down to us mortals.  They may well be able to put you back together without filling your body with chunks of metal.  Stay positive.

Just don't be tempted to do too much too soon.

• Like 1

Definately Stubby,its a killer mate,cant sleep,taking ibuprofen like smarties and been on tramadol for the last 8 years with it,but the worst is the torn bicep muscle,its took the pain up another level

Tramadol for 8 years !!!!!!!!
Shit the bed mate. You’re swimming against the tide .
Seriously . My better half is a nurse .
In no way do I mean this in any way condescendingly …….we all like to think we’ll be the last Sargent on the beech with a vickers gun, heading off the nazi pain invasion ……but sometimes you just have to look at what cards you can afford to play.
You’re not out of the loop by any stretch my friend……just recalculate your position and your options .
It’s totally possible…..and who knows…..you might even be glad of the restructure in your life and how you go about things ?
Stay positive but LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.
8 years on heavy pain relief is wayyy too much in my very very humble but daily daily achey opinion [emoji1307]
How old are you if you don’t mind me asking Gary ?
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Treerover said:

Tramadol for 8 years !!!!!!!!
Shit the bed mate. You’re swimming against the tide .
Seriously . My better half is a nurse .
In no way do I mean this in any way condescendingly …….we all like to think we’ll be the last Sargent on the beech with a vickers gun, heading off the nazi pain invasion ……but sometimes you just have to look at what cards you can afford to play.
You’re not out of the loop by any stretch my friend……just recalculate your position and your options .
It’s totally possible…..and who knows…..you might even be glad of the restructure in your life and how you go about things ?
Stay positive but LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.
8 years on heavy pain relief is wayyy too much in my very very humble but daily daily achey opinion emoji1307.png
How old are you if you don’t mind me asking Gary ?

Just over 50 now and your right its way too long to be on strong pain killers but need em in a morning to get me going,have been taking just a couple a day until this happened,but what your saying is right gotta find a way to get this sorted now

• Like 2

Done my collarbone off a moto-xer just over two years ago. But unlike the usual break midway between neck and shoulder, mine got broken right in at my neck and displaced as well.

It was healing OK but after about a month I started getting a lot of pain right out at my shoulder, where there was no damage. The bone doc said it was inevitable, as all the nerves down the left arm and hand pass by exactly where the break was so it was always likely that I'd get pain from nerves getting irritated on the displaced bone even though there isn't anything wrong as such.

Try uddermint for a bit of pain relief in the meantime and it may also speed up any natural healing possible. I used it faithfully every day after the break and the bone doc was impressed at how quickly I healed for an oul boy.

My shoulders and knees are both knackered originally from mountain biking only to be made worse from tree work. My shoulders have come out more times than I can remember and can probably say the same for my knee. Feeling far better after retiring from tree work at the grand old age of 37. 2 years on and there's still pain, but nowhere near as much. Some of my mates who used to be professional riders put me on to a sports therapist that they use in the local town, helps alot

1 hour ago, gary112 said:

Just over 50 now and your right its way too long to be on strong pain killers but need em in a morning to get me going,have been taking just a couple a day until this happened,but what your saying is right gotta find a way to get this sorted now

Yep just over 50 is to young to be on owt pain relief related, I know how you feel as i have something going on in the top of my left arm, tendon/muscle related some how but i dont know how it has come about, i had a fall last feb when i got my foot wedged under a big rock and i kept going, hence hit the deck hard and broke 3 toes in my left foot, or it could be possibly from drop starting saws for 40 yrs ? Now under the MSK team ( Muscler and Skelatal team ) went for a MRI scan last sat 8th (worst 25mins of my life) not a nice sensation but at least things are moving forward now at last after many many months of waiting, but once out of the hands of my GP things have flown and progress is now being made, i think we have got to that age now where we have to be a bit more careful than we was when we was younger, we have all done some stupid things in the past and now we are past the half century things dont heal the same as they did 20/30 years ago,,,

• Like 2