Chainsaw Injuries/Close Calls

pete_08

Have you or someone you know ever had an incident with a chainsaw?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Have you or someone you know ever had an incident with a chainsaw?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Have you or someone you know ever had a close call with a chainsaw?

• Yes
    • No

I'm carrying out a bit of research around chainsaws for a project in university.

Have you ever had a close call or an injury?

I would appreciate any discussion around chainsaw injuries. No names will be taken, no insurance companies contacted so feel free to be open in your comments. This is for my own understanding of the types of injuries/ potential injuries involving chainsaws. 

Whether it was you, a friend or "a friend" involved in a close call or incident, all information will be useful and appreciated. 

Cheers!

15 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Still at it Pete?

Have you taken the opportunity (since you last asked about this in October) to use a saw? What saw were you using and to do what?

Yea, this project is still on going, its pretty lengthy.

I've used a saw but really want to gather more than just my own experiences. 

Clearly, but tell us about your experiences and we can explain and enlarge, open the debate, we’re not just a free resource that’ll do your research for you.

You're after stuff from us but not contributing anything yourself, what were you doing with the saw? Did you notice anything that made you think ‘that seems dangerous’

Did you get any training? 

Quid pro quo Pete as Hannibal said

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 3

I was chopping a tree that was already felled. There were branches to cut off before chopping the main trunk into more manageable logs for fire wood. I thought the chopping of the branches was particularly dangerous as there were trips hazards. I also felt that the chain would catch easily on branches other than the one I was cutting. There were also times I felt some kickback.

Hmmm, not done too much research since October by the look of it.

Stop using the word ‘chopping’ that is not terminology that chainsaw pros regularly use. You’re not using an axe it’s a chainsaw.

Snedding is the term for de-branching a fallen tree. 

Did you pinch the saw at all?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, pete_08 said:

I'm not claiming to be a pro, I'm simply trying to gather other people's experience. 

The saw did pinch a few times yes.

Most of the problems you mention , the pinching of the bar and the occasional kick back can be avoided with experience and/or training .  Its good that you identified the hazards . I'm with Mick . Chopping is with an axe .