Chainsaw Injuries/Close Calls

pete_08

Have you or someone you know ever had an incident with a chainsaw?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Have you or someone you know ever had an incident with a chainsaw?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Have you or someone you know ever had a close call with a chainsaw?

• Yes
    • No

Clearly, but tell us about your experiences and we can explain and enlarge, open the debate, we’re not just a free resource that’ll do your research for you.

You're after stuff from us but not contributing anything yourself, what were you doing with the saw? Did you notice anything that made you think ‘that seems dangerous’
Did you get any training? 

Quid pro quo Pete as Hannibal said

Oh this is brilliant 🤩

I'm not claiming to be a pro, I'm simply trying to gather other people's experience. 
The saw did pinch a few times yes.

What exactly drives you on this noble quest Luke ……? Sorry….Pete ?
Have you considered a small wooden spinning round of Oak floating around your head and trying to hit it with a full revs Husky 550 ?
Might be just your thing ….[emoji85]
You could learn a lot so you could

I remembered after sending 1. No and 2. Yes that I actually know a fella (three decades in forestry) recently missing the end of a left finger (I forget which one, I hope it's not important for your research) thanks to a dangerously unleashed chainsaw. I suspect, as so often is the case, that if the chainsaw had been muzzled, then he would still have full digital capability. He has had to switch to using left-handed saws as a result. 

I once tickled my left thigh with a top handle in a leylandii I was putting some manners on because of a poor work position, a few years ago. I occasionally have to poke the kevlar threads back in through the little hole so I don't look too unprofessional.

I suspect that if all trees were lower to the ground, then it would be easier to find a safer work stance, and the risk of thigh ticklage would be minimised.

Edited by peds
  • Like 2

Hi Pete_08,

Interested in your quest but I am failing to see what useful data you are going to elicit from this survey?

Also, if this is really for a Uni degree, why is there nothing about the ethics of asking random strangers questions? 

Has this survey gone through an ethics committee?

If it has, why have you not given a reference or link?  If it hasn't, what on earth are you up to?

Which University and what course please?

Andrew Linney MSc 

• Like 2

I've had a near death experience with a chainsaw. I backed over my 365 with my truck. Injuries were terrible and required immediate surgery. But with a new bar, chain, chain catcher, handle and damper springs the casualty survived and is still working today. 

This incident was cause by the usual factors of frustration and haste. I was taking down a large oak limb that had come down in a storm and was still hung up in the tree. I needed a winch but had neglected to bring one and in a hacked off mood I spun the truck round too hastily and heard an awful crunch. 

Lesson learned. Do be careful out there. 

Edited by Gimlet