Replacing my Ech0 CS501sx

BobbyDee

Maybe you have to keep a range of premium saws for the pros to keep the prestige element going, even if they’re artificially expensive. 

I remember reading how Maculloch eschewed the pro range for the more profitable homeowner models, then lost the caché of the pros using them and faded into obscurity.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

Personally I don’t get it. If I want a 50cc husky I want the top performance one. But that’s me.
The fact is you guys bought the less ‘whizzy’ version for various reasons to suit your needs so there’s a market and I guess that’s the crux of it. They sell !
If you like husky and couldnt get a 565 you’d prob still buy a 572 but as it’s an option , you voted with your wallet buying the 565.

1 hour ago, lux said:

Personally I don’t get it. If I want a 50cc husky I want the top performance one. But that’s me.
The fact is you guys bought the less ‘whizzy’ version for various reasons to suit your needs so there’s a market and I guess that’s the crux of it. They sell !
If you like husky and couldnt get a 565 you’d prob still buy a 572 but as it’s an option , you voted with your wallet buying the 565.

Well I own neither a 545 or 550mk2 but we had both on garden arb  jobs when I was helping out last year and for general branch snedding for the chipper  I would pick up the nearest and not notice much difference, logging up and the 550 was worth walking to get.

1 hour ago, lux said:

For me it was the other way round. I was thinking about maybe the 550 as I decided the 572 was out of my budget (only a part timer you see) but having already got a decent smaller saw I went bigger again. The 565 has almost the torque of the 572 so if I really wanted to I could run the same size larger bars as a 572 (it's just going to be slower but will still cut most stuff well), was physically smaller and so (slightly) closer to the 550 in use, uses less fuel than a 572 and most importantly was a load cheaper. £200 or so for the same size bar at the time even at the discounted prices. Which put it into the 550xp territory. So for me I sized up and got way more grunt for not much more money. The downside of course is the weight gain, but as I use two saws that's not bothering me much. 

Edited by Ben Pinnick

For me it was the other way round. I was thinking about maybe the 550 as I decided the 572 was out of my budget (only a part timer you see) but having already got a decent smaller saw I went bigger again. The 565 has almost the torque of the 572 so if I really wanted to I could run the same size larger bars as a 572 (it's just going to be slower but will still cut most stuff well), was physically smaller and so (slightly) closer to the 550 in use, uses less fuel than a 572 and most importantly was a load cheaper. £200 or so for the same size bar at the time even at the discounted prices. Which put it into the 550xp territory. So for me I sized up and got way more grunt for not much more money. The downside of course is the weight gain, but as I use two saws that's not bothering me much. 
I was going to say, 365xtorq vs 372xp was something like 30 or 40% cheaper, so a good deal even after sending it for porting. I don't get the 585 though, less than 10% cheaper and more than 10% less power.

24 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:
1 hour ago, Ben Pinnick said:

Read more  

I was going to say, 365xtorq vs 372xp was something like 30 or 40% cheaper, so a good deal even after sending it for porting. I don't get the 585 though, less than 10% cheaper and more than 10% less power.

Yeah the pricing doesn't make much sense sometimes. The 565 is £220 cheaper than a 572xp. That means it's the same price as the 562xp in theory, but with more grunt and much better fuel consumption. You lose a little chain speed and gain a lb but it makes real sense pricewise - do you want less weight or more power basically. Same price you choose. Whereas the 585 is much closer to the price of the 592xp with only £140 between them. 

Yeah the pricing doesn't make much sense sometimes. The 565 is £220 cheaper than a 572xp. That means it's the same price as the 562xp in theory, but with more grunt and much better fuel consumption. You lose a little chain speed and gain a lb but it makes real sense pricewise - do you want less weight or more power basically. Same price you choose. Whereas the 585 is much closer to the price of the 592xp with only £140 between them. 
Hmm interesting - that price for 565 must make it more the 365 was but I'm looking at Radmore and Tucker, seems 565 is £747 and 572 is £811, so maybe has changed since you bought yours?