Replacing my Ech0 CS501sx

BobbyDee

Following on from my recent post about starting issues with my Echo CS-501 my local dealer is failing me to say the least. I need a reliable working saw and I need it now. My other saw - Echo 620 will suffice short term but it's heavy. To cut a long story.....what would be a good replacement for the 501? Professional quality isn't exactly a necessity but a bit of grunt would be nice along with a 15" bar. I tend to use my saws through the winter and 'rest' them for the summer. The Husqy 550 looks good but it's more than I want to pay now that I'm retired and cashflow isn't what it was.

Edited by BobbyDee

13 minutes ago, BobbyDee said:

Following on from my recent post about starting issues with my Echo CS-501 my local dealer is failing me to say the least. I need a reliable working saw and I need it now. My other saw - Echo 620 will suffice short term but it's heavy. To cut a long story.....what would be a good replacement for the 501? Professional quality isn't exactly a necessity but a bit of grunt would be nice along with a 15" bar. I tend to use my saws through the winter and 'rest' them for the summer. The Husqy 550 looks good but it's more than I want to pay now that I'm retired and cashflow isn't what it was.

The 550 MK2 is the one to go for if you can make an exception in this instance .  

• Like 2

I own 4 and 5 series Huskys and other than the power there's not much to choose between them (Despite the 5 series' pro tag). The crank casings etc. tend to be higher spec but I use my 4 series saw a lot without a hitch and it starts beautifully, and cuts really well. So I wouldn't disregard the 450II vs the 550XP if its a part time saw. You do lose power vs the 550 but its still got plenty of grunt for a 15" bar and you could save a reasonable chunk if you can find a good deal.

• Like 1

Buy cheap, buy twice as the saying goes.
Get a MK11 Husky 550.

They are pretty much the same price Mick.
Been my favourite 50cc saw out of the husky stihl and echo trio for a couple of years.

Best to run a ‘mixed’ fleet. None of them make a perfect range of saws.

Definitely gone off new stihl saws. Very flimsy build on them compared to husky and they definitely ain’t cheap

Not tried the mk2 550 yet. I nearly buckled last week whilst waiting in honey brothers. I just didn’t need it although I may re convince myself next time I’m there [emoji23]

I could do with a husky 572 in the locker though…. [emoji848]. I got a quote from Walker saws to have a ‘walkerized’ one shipped over .. about £1200 all in. Where’s my wallet ..

• Like 1

husky 545mk2? can be had for £500 with a 15" bar

Only £460 for a 550mk2. (If you get your vat back)
Never understood why husky do a de-tuned version on their saws.
Seems a little pointless when for a few quid more they sell their full fat version
Like 572/565. 595/585
Anyone know why ?
  • Like 1

Ever since I can remember there has always been a semi pro version of a model, the Xp denomination ( extra power ) came along with the 154/254, 266 etc, there is an amount of sales patter regarding this, however some people do not need that little bit more power, so a lower rpm saw suits them, a little more forgiving with blunt chains and lower maintenance, the 545 is a nice saw, different software and no crank stuffers, not so manic as a 550, but with some of the 550 benefits, I was never impressed with the silver crankcase, but a survey said it looked more aggressive, not too sure about that.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, lux said:

Only £460 for a 550mk2. (If you get your vat back)
Never understood why husky do a de-tuned version on their saws.
Seems a little pointless when for a few quid more they sell their full fat version
Like 572/565. 595/585
Anyone know why ?

I cant tell you why they do it per se, but at the top end there's a fair price difference (although when you account for the bar difference its not so big), and the XPs are bigger/bulkier (to offer more cooling / air flow) higher strung and so may need some higher spec moving parts, and I read somewhere the torque difference isn't that huge either.

4 minutes ago, adw said:

however some people do not need that little bit more power, so a lower rpm saw suits them, a little more forgiving with blunt chains and lower maintenance

I went for the 565 for exactly that reason - It's smaller and a bit more mellow shall we say. Still cuts with the 20" bar like there's nothing there.