Stihl 038 AV not starting

mickdundee

My take on it is to purchase a secondhand OEM part, this looks like the same coil housing as found on MS200Ts, but I would try to get a good one off ebay rather than go for a crap Chinese one with the one caveat being if you can't get the OEM one then it may be worth a punt. They are to be found on many saw types so check for this as well - details on the link below.

Have you checked the spark...using an old plug with the end electrode gap opened up considerably? Has the HT lead also been checked for continuity? Purchasing a coil is the last thing I do as they are expensive and like to be sure I am 100% right before parting with my/customers money. Had a MS461 like that - corroded HT connector!! Simple check if you have a multimeter - Ohm range and from earth to the plug cap spur connector.

Ignition module/coil Genuine Stihl Part OEM Part No. 0000 400 1300 Suitable for the following Stihl Machines: 026...

• Like 1

Looks like there are two types (two and three legged metal laminate) although both will probably work - one on eBay for £20 if yours is bad and I would test as I trust no-one and there are a lot of lazy/misguided repairers out there: -

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Stihl 026 Chainsaw Coil Pack. Condition is "Used". Dispatched with Royal Mail Signed For® 2nd Class.

20 hours ago, spudulike said:

My take on it is to purchase a secondhand OEM part, this looks like the same coil housing as found on MS200Ts, but I would try to get a good one off ebay rather than go for a crap Chinese one with the one caveat being if you can't get the OEM one then it may be worth a punt. They are to be found on many saw types so check for this as well - details on the link below.

Have you checked the spark...using an old plug with the end electrode gap opened up considerably? Has the HT lead also been checked for continuity? Purchasing a coil is the last thing I do as they are expensive and like to be sure I am 100% right before parting with my/customers money. Had a MS461 like that - corroded HT connector!! Simple check if you have a multimeter - Ohm range and from earth to the plug cap spur connector.

Ignition module/coil Genuine Stihl Part OEM Part No. 0000 400 1300 Suitable for the following Stihl Machines: 026...

Hi when I got the saw back and looked at the coil pack I’ve ordered a cheap one from eBay for about £14 as they look the same. I missed your comment about how they could have different timing though so we’ll see how it goes. I haven’t checked the HT lead, I’ve taken the shops word that it’s the coil. I’ll try and check it though 

On 18/01/2022 at 18:46, spudulike said:

Oh dear...I can tell a few stories but now is probably not the right time!

I got away with it. Fitted the Chinese coil this afternoon and it’s fired up. I didn’t check HT continuity in the end as it’s moulded into the coil anyway so possible couldn’t have been repaired depending on where the break was. 

Thanks for your help :) Always learning with these old saws lol

• Like 1

Glad it is running, I hope it stays that way as those Chinese coils can be a bit suspect. The old coil - the HT lead should be screwed in to place, if you grip the HT lead near the coil and twist the coil, it is very likely to unscrew but it may be the coil has failed, it does happen and had a few 200s in like that!