New 3.5t tipper

jamesd

7 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Cheer up you miserable wanker!

The new Ranger (which I have ordered) has 220hp  two litre Bi-turbo engine.

So I will be inserting myself (I like to think of my vehicles as female) into a powerful beautiful black Bi!

Could things get any better?

2 local brothers i know have always plumped for 3.2 Rangers and trade them back in every 2 /3 years.  They now own the 2.0L Bi Turbo Rangers and they opted for the  Ford remap which boots BHP to about 260bhp but despite this option being loaded at the factory (or at dealership?) it doesn't kick in till the engine has done something like 2000 miles.  These lads tow 3.5 ton daily (digger on a plant trailer) and reckon the 2.0 is much better to drive and tow with compared to the older 3.2.  The 3.2 may make a reappearance in Fords lineup at some point though so i hear. 

But the point is thrashing the arse out of a 2.0l engine or just tickling a 3.2 there is no replacement for displacement using the turbo to uprate the power is just asking for trouble down the line big lazy engines wlll go on for years 

Edited by dumper
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, dumper said:

But the point is thrashing the arse out of a 2.0l engine or just tickling a 3.2 there is no replacement for displacement using the turbo to uprate the power is just asking for trouble down the line big lazy engines wlll go on for years 

yep thas what those brothers said too but they don't care as they have a warranty

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

Joking aside, how is a 2l lump going to compare with a 3.2 15 years down the line, doing exactly the same work?

You’re a switched on bloke, I know it won’t be your problem.

But it will be someone’s problem.

We’ll be all electric by then or living in nomadic tribes ruled by warlords fighting over whatever canned goods are still about (a bit like Croydon on a Saturday night)

How old are your trucks?

Edited by Mick Dempsey

Buying any secondhand vehicle is a gamble. Avoiding a pup can be possible, but sometimes you end up with one. I've not had many over the years, but a MK4 Golf I bought once cost me dearly. I was blinded by the sexy sound of a 5 cylinder engine though ..... 

I remember hearing the saying "there is no replacement for displacement" and quite like this idea for a tow vehicle! My Shogun has a meaty 3.2D engine, and I've had it fettled up a bit so it's got 240bhp and 500nm torque so yanks the Logbullet around with ease. I personally would be fearful of using say a 2 litre with a set of turbos on for a prolonged period of time, just because the engine will be getting so much more abuse. However, that's certainly the way things have gone so maybe I'm living in the dark ages? 

Unfortunately most stuff these days seem to have built in obsolescence. Stuff just works to an expiry date effectively. Sometimes you get lucky and have care free motoring, but a lot of folk end up pouring money into something once it reaches a certain age or mileage (myself included) You convince yourself the next fix will be the one that stops the rot, but invariably it never is!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

We’ll be all electric by then or living in nomadic tribes ruled by warlords fighting over whatever canned goods are still about (a bit like Croydon on a Saturday night)

How old are your trucks?

Tranny is 15 years Mick.

Bought second hand from a dealer as an ex-demonstrator.

It’s been brilliant, and has needed very little major work.

DMF shat itself at 70k, swapped out for a solid and new clutch. 2 alternators.

God knows what I’ll replace it with.

8 hours ago, wicklamulla said:

yep thas what those brothers said too but they don't care as they have a warranty

It’s not the warranty that’s a problem it’s the fiat uno they give you to replace it as a courtesy car for the 10 weeks it takes to fix 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

Tranny is 15 years Mick.

Bought second hand from a dealer as an ex-demonstrator.

It’s been brilliant, and has needed very little major work.

DMF shat itself at 70k, swapped out for a solid and new clutch. 2 alternators.

God knows what I’ll replace it with.

Mine is a 2008, if I replace it (before I’m finished) I’ll get another transit, probably a low mileage second hand one.

They still make them you know

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dumper said:

The ‘no replacement for displacement’ sounds good and to an extent is true.

But go back 20 years and the hilux turbo 2.4 knocked out 110hp now my Ranger knocks out 150hp at 2.2.

Engines are more efficient whilst using less fuel.

A 3.0 Capri was knocked into a cocked hat by a 1.8 golf.

Formula 1 now use a 1.6 liter engine producing similar HPs to the older 3 liters, they’re more reliable as well, rarely does an F1 engine let go compared to the days of Mansell etc.

Only the yanks with their cheap fuel run those big lazy engines.

Edited by Mick Dempsey